Please get involved in research and preservation.

I'd like to encourage everyone to donate any factory literature to the AACA via your clubs. 

Many of us in the Dodge Brothers Club have made some strides in donating any factory literature or scans to the AACA via our club, but much more work must be done. I would like to openly ask anyone who may not be a DBC member, yet may possess Dodge Brothers car and truck literature or Graham Brothers truck literature to please consider donating originals or copies. 

Beyond our club I would obviously encourage anyone else representing all other marques to consider donating as well. At least consider sending copies of what you have so others can be helped at a later date.

Like some of you, I have a passion for research and knowledge regarding our brand. My hope is this will encourage others to get more involved in research and the preservation of factory literature, advertising from the manufacturers, and any other form of era literature that would help to preserve possible missing details that others may be looking for. 

Remember, we're all looking for answers... let's help each other.

Thanks for taking the time.

Dave

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The factory original documents are often lacking details and procedures to properly maintain or repair older vehicles.  Material grades, torque settings, etc. were not well known or well documented for early vehicles.  So, I suggest that modern documented repairs also be included to help collector vehicle owners maintain and/or repair their vehicles.

• Like 6

Thank you Dave. I echo your statements totally. AACA LIBRARY is the place to see your period material or at least good clear copies of it preserved. Many clubs have their archives stored at the AACA HQ - Jen Wolfe and Matt Hooker are outstanding people to keep all of that period material safe but available to use. So are all the other staff at HQ, and the volunteers there. I have met Jen and Matt in person "nil melior" - none finer.

Many clubs have collections of material , all well and good, but access can be difficult if not almost impossible . they do not have full time staff working on preserving the material but knowing what exists where and how best to make it available if requested.

I am involved in the preservation of period material , have been for decades , not just about car stuff but also about local and state history.  It takes a lot of effort , time and knowledge to know how to deal with properly acid based paper , what can be placed in what to preserve it, how light affects it, etc. You can't just throw it in an envelope in a file and say "there it is saved".  That is like spraying paint on a pre war car with a rattle can and saying " there it is restored".

Please think of AACA as the right location for your material also have the patience for those at AACA to properly accept and treat what you may want to contribute.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Mark Shaw said:

The factory original documents are often lacking details and procedures to properly maintain or repair older vehicles.  Material grades, torque settings, etc. were not well known or well documented for early vehicles.  So, I suggest that modern documented repairs also be included to help collector vehicle owners maintain and/or repair their vehicles.

Very good points, Mark... thank you for bringing those to our attention as we often have a tendency not to share details that we think are insignificant at the time, yet are vital to others in need.

Other examples are popular areas of interest such as structure dimensions and exploded views, especially things like roof details, seat or cab dimensions, exploded views of split rims and procedures how to maintain them, etc.. Many of us are visual learners so clear scans or copies of all topics are crucial in guiding us in the process.

Here's a builders sheet from a Ross Roy sales data book that has approximately 800 pages so you can imagine the wealth of information in it. Clear scans are recommended so the reader can zoom in or rotate for more details then the entire contents will be saved and useful to others for generations to come once the scanning process is complete AND the library can continue to fit other larger items with the space saved due to scanned copies. 

image.png.72eb19cdbf77e296cd9ce46b4a4ba12e.png

Other information to support a builders sheet details. Though the dimensions are "approximate", this will no doubt help anyone wishing to restore a Dodge Brothers 1931-33 models UF-10 or F-10 at some point.

image.png.2026d2aadbf9f5b7dbfe8e9f122fb501.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1