Chevy 216 to 235 engine swap clutch problems

crazycars

I changed out the 216 engine in my 1951 Chevrolet and installed a 235 engine.  Now, the throw out bearing doesn't push the pressure plate enough to allow shifting gears. I fabricated an extra long clutch fork rod but still no shift. All parts worked fine in the old 216 set up.  Is there some type of special clutch fork rod used for this swap. All help greatly appreciated.

chevy clutch linkage.jpg

Extending a rod is unlikely to do much. It is the angle of the fork that matters. If the angle is wrong so that the outer end of the fork is further away, the rod will push less and less the further it pushes. If that is the case, I would suspect you need a thicker throw out bearing, or need a taller fork ball. This article is for Jeeps with engine swaps, but you may find it interesting.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/clutches-etc/

In particular, this bit of sage advice applies to a lot of things that are not Jeeps...

Install the transmission on the clutch housing. The release bearing must be able to move away from the diaphragm spring approximately 1/16 to 1/8" (this is the "free play"). At this point you should be able to move the release bearing back and forward with the fork. The bearing, when against the clutch, should leave the release fork positioned at 4 or 5 degrees LESS than a right angle with the engine centerline and allow it to be moved away from the clutch 1/16 to 1/8". If this condition does not exists, do not install the assembly into the Jeep until it does. If not, you may need a different clutch release bearing or pivot or you may have the wrong fork.

I did that swap in my 1939 and had the same problem. The problem is the fork itself has the wrong bend for the 235 block. I simply heated the fork shaft to red and put a tighter bend in it. It doesn't take too much additional bend and is a bit of trial and error but it is the fix. I was worried about doing it but it's been over 20 years now with no problems...........Bob

• Like 2