Studebaker 63 GT Hawk Carter AFB carb question

Oz Dodge 4

My 1963 Studebaker GT Hawk 289 engine has been stored for the last few years while the body has been being repaired, with the accessories being stored in a box, and during that time the original AFB Carter carby has "Walked", probably stollen by one of the visitors to the farm. I have been looking for a replacement but over here, (Australia) 289s are not common, most Studes were 259s, and I have been unable to find a replacement, but last Saturday I got hold of an AFB Carter 3088S which doctor Google tells me is for a 61-63 Buick made for much larger capacity engines than the 289s. My question is will this carb be too big for the standard Stude 289 ? My engine has the low compression 582 heads, standard cam and service bore to .040 with flat top pistons, should be about 8 to 1 compression, what do you blokes think, will this carb work on a fairly standard 289, my other option is to fit one of my several two-barrel WW Stromberg's and manifolds to it. 

Thanks Guys,

Graham

The Buick 3088s is slightly larger than the AFB's used by Studebaker (625 vs 600).

So it is not too large in airflow, but the calibrations are totally wrong.

An AFB that is fairly common here in the USA, and has calibrations that are close enougth to work on the Studebaker higher compression engine would either a 3300s or a 3326s from a Pontiac.

Studebaker AFB's are not at all common here in the USA. We have sold quite a few of the 3300s/3326s to Studebaker folks that drove their cars, and didn't care about matching numbers.

So if you are set on a four barrel, the Pontiac carb might be an inexpensive alternative for you.

If you want to use the Buick carb, you will need to change: primary jets, step-up rods, and the auxiliary air valve. While you are at it, the secondary jets should also be changed, but not as critical as the other parts.

I have no record of Studebaker using a WW on the 289; but on a low-compression engine, would probably run well.

Jon

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks Jon,

Thats exactly what I needed to know ! I thought it might be something like that after I found out what the numbers meant. I came across it accidentally and paid very little for it so it's no big deal if I can't use it. The A.F.B. seems to be what is on the 289s that "are" out here, it's just that the vast majority of Studes are 259s, and very low compression at that. I have several setups fitted with WWs off 259s, and I always got on well with them when the cars (I have 3) were my daily drivers back in the 80s-90s so I can use them. When I retired, my nephew that took over my house and garage needed the shed I had my Stude parts in and transferred them to a sea container, and I can't find the carby, so there is still a chance the original may turn up, I do hope so as it looks like the Buick unit might be a no go. Unfortunately almost all the Pontiacs that Holdens assembled out here were 283s fitted with 2-barrel Rochester's, I don't think I have ever seen a Pontiac with an AFB! If I want to use one of them I will have to import one from the US, and that can get quite messy.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Graham

Edited by Oz Dodge 4 (see edit history)

Graham - over the years, we have shipped a lot of carbs/carb parts to various hotels in the Hershey Pennsylvania area. Lots of folks which attended Hershey who take stuff back in their baggage. Do not know if that is even possible these days, but it might be an avenue for you; if you, or any friends were to attend Hershey (or other locations in the USA).

Hopefully, your original will turn up.

Jon

• Like 1

I am unlikely to ever get to Hershey, although it would be wonderful if I could, but I do have a friend that periodically goes over to somewhere in Michigan ! He is into veteran farm tractors and stationary engines, but I am sure he would pick up something if needed, but I have no idea when he will be going over next. I think it's alright to take things like that back, as long as it's in luggage in the hold, not carry on in the overhead lockers.

My nephew tells me if it was in the shed it should be in the container "somewhere", so there is still hope.

Graham

I doubt you would have troubles carrying on a carburator.

I flew to pick up a car recently and had a complete ignition system including a distributor and coil my carry on.

They did look it over pretty close, but no real problems.

I studied what can and cannot be carried and found out I could carry certain tools as well.

Being as I had what I might need in an emergency according to Murphy none of it will be needed.

The seller was kind of confused about his ignition system. He referred to it as a Pertronix HEI and it had a Ford coil.

I found out later that it did have a GM module hooked up to a regular slant six electronic distributor but no Pertronix.