Broken Ignition Switch Knob

jord

My switch handle broke, how difficult would it be to get at the mechanism inside the steering column to replace this part? Or am I better to drill to out and tap ne threads on both parts?

IMG_9344.jpg

If you can do it without having to remove the entire steering column, that would be a lot better.  Yours looks like a 36 or 37.  My 41 I had to remove the entire steering gearbox to repair it as the main shaft that goes up to steering wheel is part of the gearbox.  You need to car raised up very high to get it out and back in again from under the chassis.  I had purchased a 'rebuilt' one from a supplier that is now out of business, but they didn't do it correctly.  Once I got it out of the vehicle I had to do some special shimming to get the proper 'play' in the gearbox under the car.  It might be a Saginaw unit, not sure.  There is a company I think it's name is Lores that advertises in Hemmings and on line too that rebuilds them too.  I would try to fix it in your case in the car without removing the steering column!   

Thanks' Ray and JF. I was able to drill and tap both sides of the knob and shaft switch, it was tough. The handle is stainless which was the most difficult, the bit slid all over the place while starting but in the end, I managed to get some 6/32 threads in place. Will use a bit of JB well to fill the wallowed-out part on the switch.