Do I need to replace / rebuild the fuel pump? 1941 M5. Champion 6 engine.

Trying to get a M5 running after sitting in a static collection for 15 years. Engine fires with starter fluid. Fuel lines from the tank to the fuel pump have been replaced. After removing the plug on top of the float bowl and squirting some fresh gas into the bowl, the engine will run for about 15 seconds and responds to throttle inputs, before sputtering out. I repeated this procedure 3 or 4 times, trying to draw fuel from the gas tank all the way through fuel system. Since it runs for ~15 seconds and responds to throttle inputs before sputtering out, does that mean that the carb is okay, but the fuel pump isn't working? Does the fuel pump need to be primed somehow? Can I buy a replacement fuel pump or can I rebuild mine myself? Any other trouble shooting ideas?

Try dis-connecting the fuel line at the carb. to the pump and run the motor off the starter to see if any fuel is being pumped out from the tank. You probably will want to have a bottle ready at the line to catch any fuel. This will at least tell you if you pump is any good with minimal effort. But having said all that, it's probably time for a new pump or a rebuild kit. 15 years is a long time and the diaphragm is probably toast. My 2 cents. Good Luck!