Nailhead tool recommendation

gungeey

I got this belt tightener from jcwhitney 40 out so years ago. (Probably the only good thing from them I ever got  😂 ).

I've worn it out on the AC/alt pulleys of 63-65 nailhead engines. The threads in the turnbuckle are going bye bye.

Looking for an exact or similar replacement has been for naught. 

What are others using? Thanks, Steve

20240314_115937.jpg

20240314_114413.jpg

Edited by gungeey (see edit history)

I'd try adding a nut and washer on the exposed threaded section.  Use the nut to push against the turnbuckle adjuster.  Or fabricate a replacement for that turnbuckle adjuster using a pair of nuts & washers with a spacer in-between.  I think it can be saved!  ;)

Edited by EmTee
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

I'd try adding a nut and washer on the exposed threaded section.  Use the nut to push against the turnbuckle adjuster.  Or fabricate a replacement for that turnbuckle adjuster using a pair or nuts & washers with a spacer in-between.  I think it can be saved!  ;)

I think you're right, that would work. I think I'd take a lot of enjoyment from the hobby, though, if I had to roll my eyeballs at myself, trying to get a wrench on an obscure nut in order to save 20 or 30 dollars for a proper tool. 

Enough of my life is held together with paper clips and bandaids already 🤣 

On 3/15/2024 at 7:19 AM, EmTee said:

I'd try adding a nut and washer on the exposed threaded section.  Use the nut to push against the turnbuckle adjuster.  Or fabricate a replacement for that turnbuckle adjuster using a pair of nuts & washers with a spacer in-between.  I think it can be saved!  ;)

Adding the nut and washer would be the easiest, or you could tap and add a larger treaded shaft with a reducer to the original threaded shaft.

Just my 2cents

Not a bad tool from J.C.Whitney in my opinion, they have a location about 45 minutes from me, and we used to go from time to time, but now it is open for on-line sales only.

Bob

• Like 2