Any ideas what car these lights are for?

Junkyard4

Look on the hex nuts that hold the doors closed, I believe you will see the makers name of SOLAR. The numbers are year and model.

Most likely not for a specific car but came on several makes and offered as aftermarket replacements. Dated about 1912.

• Like 1

Closer inspection seems to indicate that these were originally early electric lights that have been modified to imitate gas lamps. The bonnets on top are a "restorers" attempt to make the lamps look like gas lamps but there are no vent holes in the top and bottom of the bodies for air to pass thru when burning gas. Move the date of manufacture to 1913-1914.

• Like 2

I think Layden is on to something here. (I have known him for forty years, he is pretty sharp!) Several things about these lamps don't look right. They appear to have the mounting base in the back of the buckets for the special mirrors used by acetylene lamps? But the vent/bonnets on the top look crude for the era compared with most other lamps. (Some early lamps around 1905 did have crude looking bonnets, but not generally that way by 1910.) These have burners and connections for acetylene lamps, but no vent holes necessary for air for the flame and cooling for the lamp bodies (ever feel how hot those things get when they are lit?). Without venting, they would probably get hot enough to melt the solder!

Well Wayne you are usually close if not right on target but this last sentence I am going to take issue with!!

Light a gas lamp, close the door, and the flame will go out quickly without venting. That is what a candle snuffer is all about.

These lights are Solar and their design is called French style. Their hourglass shape was popular in the mid teens. First picture is a pair on a 1913 Stutz. These have optional bails on top. 

Second picture is of a 1915 Kissel, no bails but special for Kissel are the octagonal rims, maybe one size larger diameter as well.

Gray & Davis also made a series of French style lamps, most notably seen on era Cadillacs.

Stutz 1913 bearcat   .jpg

Kissel.jpg

• Like 1

But aren't the lamps on that Stutz and Kissel electric? The reflectors on the Stutz would indicate as such. Ventilation is not needed with electric headlamps.

(No offense intended in any way!)

And where have I seen a similar Stutz? (No need to answer) Beautiful car!

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)

Layden makes some good points.  The lamps appear to be Solar brand however the nut holding the door closed has been replaced with a simple hex nut.  the original was a knurled round nut and would have had the identifying info on it that Layden suggested. 

Inside the lamp, the back framework that would have held an asbestos pad and the reflecting mirror appears to be in place but  the burner assembly itself should be adjustable, forward and back, in order to provide for an ideal flame shape that is reflected.  That would require a couple of small slots along side the larger slot where the burner assembly fits to permit such adjustment.  Once that fitting is properly adjusted it is secured in place with a couple of small screws through the base of the lamp. No adjustment slots for such screws seem to exist on these lamps. 

the big issue is indeed, the bonnet on top seems to be purely decorative.  There would be a large opening from inside the lamp to allow heat from the burners flame to escape into the vented top.

I too am convinced  early electric lamps have been modified for some purpose.  Whether it's early "restoration" or some attempt to make up a pair of lamps for a studio prop or carnival rode I have no idea.

These lamps were originally available as aftermarket items and could be purchased to install on whatever vehicle they were needed on.  As they are, they should be considered parts donors.

Terry