Rear main seal - 15 DB

ORDERED

Hello all,

The engine is now completely rebuilt.  The mechanic asked me to find the rear main seal.  I told him the parts manual calls for a cork gasket.  He is not sure how the cork retainer works and is very familiar with the model A and the rope gasket used there.  The rope for the A is about 3/8 inch too short.  I contacted Olsen's, who told me they sell it by the foot and to buy the 7/16 that can be manipulated.  Any suggestions for me?

Edited by MrLiken (see edit history)

Thank you.  I wrote Cindy and she referred me to Olsen's gaskets.  A discussion with them led me to post this....

I got my pan and seal gaskets from Olson's. (note the spelling)

Engine Gaskets for the Antique Market - Olson's Gaskets (olsonsgaskets.com)

I got my head gasket from them too, but they were out of copper so got the steel one. 

https://www.olsonsgaskets.com/products/?application=automotive&make=dodge&cylinder=4

You don't have to buy the full set. 

Thanks Mark.  I have purchased the whole set from them before.  They are telling me that the cork is correct for my car.  My mechanic is telling me that there is an issue getting the fly wheel off and he doesn't want to trust that the cork will keep me from having a leaky rear or clutch case.

Does your mechanic realize that the oil pressure is maybe 4-5 pounds feeding the mains oil line? It is a volume not pressure pump. Not sure why they can't remove the flywheel, it's 6 bolts holding it on. But if were to guess they are using the flanged it to support the block so can't get it past the mounting arms. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)

On 3/5/2024 at 9:01 AM, Mark Gregush said:

Does your mechanic realize that the oil pressure is maybe 4-5 pounds feeding the mains oil line? It is a volume not pressure pump. Not sure why they can't remove the flywheel, it's 6 bolts holding it on. But if were to guess they are using the flanged it to support the block so can't get it past the mounting arms. 

Mechanic is very knowledgeable.  Worked for a restoration shop as head mechanic doing mostly 6 figure show cars.  It's me that can't describe the issues correctly.  God rest his soul, but that is why I couldn't relate to Rodger "Dodger" because he was an engineer and always described things "over my head".  I digress.....  Something welded makes it very difficult...IDK.

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2024 at 12:01 PM, Mark Gregush said:

Does your mechanic realize that the oil pressure is maybe 4-5 pounds feeding the mains oil line?

From which it then drips.