Water in Trunk...

Hello Fellas!   here we go again....I checked everything for possible Inlets....quarter window seals are new...even the rubber seal on the top compartment....3rd brake light seals....all A OK!  ..tail light drains are ok...antenna drain ok....I assume that the 2 drainage lines from the softtop compartment are not clogged ( but have to check for damage) ..rear reflector is sealed off with silicone....trunk lock is also sealed.......still; there is water in the trunk! I can only assume that it might really be the trunk seal itself!...can I use any generic seal or does it have to be this specific one? if so...does anyone have a part number?

thanks!!!!!!!

Test the trunk seal in the same manner as testing the top against the windshield.  Cut up strips of paper and place them all around the trunk lid to the body.  Close the lid and pull out the strips of paper.    If they come out easily that would be a potential problem area.  The seal should be noticeable if it is damaged and causing leakage.

• Like 1

4490791 Trunk weather-strip   1989-91 TC

have used or NOS

www.arizonaparts.com

alternative test:

you get in trunk

shut trunk

spray with water

trust that someone will let you out of trunk after they sprayed water and hope you did not drown in trunk due to trashed weather-strip

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, marty14 said:

4490791 Trunk weather-strip   1989-91 TC

have used or NOS

www.arizonaparts.com

alternative test:

you get in trunk

shut trunk

spray with water

trust that someone will let you out of trunk after they sprayed water and hope you did not drown in trunk due to trashed weather-strip

best alternative test suggestion ever! :)

7 hours ago, Garnet & Gold said:

Test the trunk seal in the same manner as testing the top against the windshield.  Cut up strips of paper and place them all around the trunk lid to the body.  Close the lid and pull out the strips of paper.    If they come out easily that would be a potential problem area.  The seal should be noticeable if it is damaged and causing leakage.

thanks! will report back!

• 4 weeks later...