Source for new ECM and ASSU PROM

Anthon

Rockauto did me the favor of sending out two defective ECMs from Blue Streak. The first one made the engine surge and sputter, chimes go off for no reason, and randomly flashing SES light with no codes. The second one had a clearly corroded circuit board. I didn't even try that one. 

Does anyone know where to find a *new* ECM? All I see are remanufactured ones, which really don't seem much more than somebody's old ECM stuck in a new box and sold to the next unsuspecting chump.

Also, I am looking for the ASSU PROM, to update to the latest version for '89. Does anyone have one for sale or know where to get one?

Thanks in advance.

As you have found, the ECM's are common but not new. They were only used for a few years more than three decades ago. The standard part number was 1228253 and when remanufactured, they often carried the 16198264 part number, but is the same ECM. I can't help with the PROM. I don't even have the .bin file for that one. What PROM do you have now? Data says no factory produced car had the ASSU PROM as it was issued after production ended.

Check the ground circuits to the ECM.  Noise on the signal lines due to a high noise floor resulting from poor ground can cause many seemingly unrelated and confusing problems.  I'm currently chasing an intermittent false 'engine overheated' telltale which is looking like it may be caused by the remanufactured Blue Streak BCM in my wife's Allante'.  I checked the wiring and ground associated with the overtemp alarm and that all looked good.  The issue seems to have gone away for the moment.  I am continuing to monitor the situation and will likely wind-up disconnecting and reconnecting the BCM connectors and verifying all of the BCM ground points.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 2seater said:

What PROM do you have now?

CRT says it's 2204. I can't see the letter code since I already put it back in the car. The new one would read out 1094 in the CRT. The updated one has increased fuel pump prime for easier starting, corrected clock (for lost time), and corrected MPG calculations. I'm not sure if there's anything else.

9 hours ago, EmTee said:

I'm currently chasing an intermittent false 'engine overheated' telltale which is looking like it may be caused by the remanufactured Blue Streak BCM in my wife's Allante'.  

The Blue Streak advertising readout said they reflowed the board in the ECM, but if they didn't even clean off the corrosion, I find it hard to believe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anthon said:

CRT says it's 2204. I can't see the letter code since I already put it back in the car. The new one would read out 1094 in the CRT. The updated one has increased fuel pump prime for easier starting, corrected clock (for lost time), and corrected MPG calculations. I'm not sure if there's anything else.

I think those items are hard burned into the PROM, so the commonly re-programmable stuff the tuner could change are off limits and you need the actual PROM as you already know. Have you contacted Ryan at GM Tuners? He has helped me greatly over a lot of years and perhaps he might know of a source?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2seater said:

I think those items are hard burned into the PROM, so the commonly re-programmable stuff the tuner could change are off limits and you need the actual PROM as you already know. Have you contacted Ryan at GM Tuners? He has helped me greatly over a lot of years and perhaps he might know of a source?

WOW I just checked out that website. Lots of good info there. I have a lot to learn. I wonder if someone just has the file and I could put it on a new chip. I will contact them and see what they have to say

2 hours ago, Anthon said:

WOW I just checked out that website. Lots of good info there. I have a lot to learn. I wonder if someone just has the file and I could put it on a new chip. I will contact them and see what they have to say

Ryan has been extremely helpful to me over a couple decades. Without his initial tuning and later guidance on doing my own, I would have been totally lost. What I have found from wading through learning about the PROM and tuning, is that there is only a portion that can be modified at the user level.The PROM is 60ish sockets total. There is a small circuit board and a 256k 28pin IC attached to these sockets that plug into the ECM. The 256k IC is what we can access and program, a 32k file called a .bin. I have never found any information on the "chip", or .bin file, to modify the items you mentioned above. We can change a lot of things but I am pretty sure some items are hard coded into the areas the other 30 odd sockets connect to. Best of luck👍

• Thanks 1

The ".bin" is a binary file; in other words it is the machine-readable file, so one can't simply look at an ASCII dump of the file and make sense of it.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2024 at 7:50 AM, EmTee said:

The ".bin" is a binary file; in other words it is the machine-readable file, so one can't simply look at an ASCII dump of the file and make sense of it.

That is certainly true👍 I use Tuner Pro to turn it into something I can read. I need help from others to make it something I can understand🙃

• Like 1