1928 Continental 4 cylinder valve clearances/ ignition timing

Aussie Scruffy

Hi again,

Posted a while back under "Aussie Scruffy" asking to ID a Continental engine.

Got some great advice, no one in Australia knows much about these engines.

I have cut and lapped valve seats now can anyone advise correct valve clearances?

Think it's a "Red Seal" engine 3.375 inch bore with cast iron pistons. 

Also ignition timing please.

Any advice appreciated, thank you.

Ignition timing is going to depend on whether it has a working mechanical advance and what it's range of advance is.  The engine may be setup to use a manual retard lever for starting. If so, set it to the retard position (direction of rotor rotation)

In either case best to start by having engine on #1 TDC and set it so the points open JUST after TDC. Mark it!  Once it is running you can time it by "ear" by setting the engine running 1200-1500 RPM and turning the distributor to the point of highest speed, then retard until you can just barely notice it slowing.  Now you know start and run settings. Hopefully they will be the same.  If starting with a hand crank it is VERY important that the initial timing not be before TDC. 

I like Rusty's valve clearance numbers

Edited by Oldtech (see edit history)
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I like the idea of timing to TDC for starting. Once you get it running, a vacuum gauge is handy for adjustments - set the timing to maximize vacuum. That will usually give you best power and economy.

I agree except I was always taught to get maximum vacuum and then back it off a couple of degrees so you do not need to worry about spark knock.

• Like 2

Aussie Scruffy has not been back since the original post.

Later.... in another post he gives more details and pictures. The engine is a Continental in a modified Rugby chassis. Rugby trucks were made by Durant, and Durant  used Continental engines, the Star and Rugby used 4 cylinder engines. So engine may be Rugby or Star, made in August 1928

If the engine is the same as a Star 4 cylinder, valve settings are .006 intake and .006 exhaust, set hot.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Thank you so much Rusty OToole you have given me exactly what I wanted.

Engine has Bosch impulse drive magneto with manual adv retard control.

Have to make a drive coupling between magneto and water pump drive shaft.

Engine has a custom external oiling system taking oil supply rear lhs block thrust 2adjustable needle valves to front cover area. Suspect the front gear train suffered from lack of oil supply? Can you advise why this was done? Thanks again for your help.

4 hours ago, Mark Gregush said:

When valve gap that small is given, more than likely it is for an engine that is up to running temp., not cold. 

The chart of tune up specs above, gives the gap with the note "H" which I presume means Hot. If it was my car I would set the valves cold and recheck when hot.

• Like 1