1931 Chrysler CG Imperial head Gasket

I believe there are 2 types of Head gaskets for the 1931 Chrysler CG Imperial and does any know how i can find out which one and how to get a pattern as i need to get one?

Engine number CG3411  body number CG- 929-CG

Trying to resolve over heading especial whilst running at higher speeds, the head is also running hotter than the block.

Reconditioned temp gauge indicated getting to over 200 above 50 mile for any length of time i have a 3.5 diff in the rear end FYI.

Appreciate your assistance

When I had my 1931 Chrysler CD8 Engine (240CI) out of the car I pulled head off as the valves at 7/8 cylinders were stuck, and also to assess whether to consider a full engine rebuild. Since everything except valve train seemed OK, I decided to attend to valves (clean, reface valves, lap in seats, hone guides etc and reset/adjust. While at it, I knocked out the frost plugs in block and thoroughly cleaned out coolant channels in both the head and block. Some passageways were completely blocked, others narrowed, and I took about 1.5-2 cups of debris, some rust, mostly accumulated mineral from water etc. These engines were known for getting hot at back end of block (7/8 cylinders), and later coolant routes were added in later editions of this engine. After removing all the accumulated crud, a good flush removed anything else. Also flushed radiator. New frost plugs and gasket and eventually 50/50 coolant added and engine ran well and at normal operating temps.  

I don't know much about the larger 380CI Imperial engine, but assume the overall design is similar, so you may want to check to see if there are any signs of hot spots on block when warmed (in particular at back end of engine), perhaps a sign of coolant passage blockages.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for your help the engine has been rebuilt and was not happy with the end result,  it is with a new person who is working though the issue but any assistance is welcome thanks again 

We have a rebuilt the radiator and playing with the water restriction to the radiator and the distributor timing etc.

Car runs hot on freeway above 45 mph get to and over 200 even on mild days

Edited by Chryslerman1929 (see edit history)