Engine upgrade to complete insert bearings for 1937 dictator

I own a 1937 Studebaker W/ a 218 ci engine . I'm told the engine has babbited rod bearings with insert bearings on the mains . Is there a bolt in engine that will replace the engine that has complete insert bearings in it ? and if so will my transmission & clutch bolt up to it or will I have to upgrade to a different flywheel clutch & transmission as well ? I'm new to the forum so please excuse if I'm posting this in the wrong place & advise as to where I should post . Thanks in advance  OLD STUDE

In 1948 they went to replaceable insert bearings in the rods. When I rebuilt my 1940 I got rods from the newer engine style from Steve Allen. You should check with them and see if they still have rods and if so will they work in a 1937 engine.

I rebuilt my 41 back in '77 and the local machine shop machined my rods to accept the postwar insert bearing shells. I think it's easier to do that than to fit a post-46 engine, but you could get a nice bump in power with a 7.5:1 246. The smaller prewar main inserts are getting harder to find but you should be able to source a set. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a ‘49 Commander engine in my ‘37 Coupe-Express.  Bolted right in with no modifications needed that I can recall.  I did have to have a shorter driveshaft fabricated because Jerry Kurtz made me a post-war overdrive set-up.

Tom

Now that I’ve taken longer than 5 minutes to think about my reply to the original poster,  I do seem to recall that there might have been a bolt hole or dowel pin in a different place on the ‘49 engine as compared to the ‘37 bellhousing.  I remember now that I had a struggle with that issue when I dial-indicated the bellhousing to the engine.

It’s been more than 10 years ago, so the details are hazy.

Tom