accessory coolant temperature gage help requested

60ch

A few years ago I posted pictures of this gage asking for information on how it worked.  I received information on patent searches but thats all.  So I'm back asking if anyone has ever seen this gage before. It appears that

the Flash Semaphore Company was incorporated in 1928. No patent was ever issued and the company disappeared from the Chicago list of companies operating in that city after 1929.  The stock market crash of 1929, the great depression of 1929 and possibly patent infringement are all possibilities for the demise. This gage was installed in my 1929 Dodge DA when I bought it outside of Chicago in 1988. It is missing parts so it is inoperable. This has been a very interesting project. Apparently this is a scarce item. Has anyone ever seen one or any literature pertaining to the Flash Semaphore temperature gage?

Thank You,  Terry

DSCN0650.JPG

DSCN0651.JPG

IMG_0069.jpg

That is fascinating. Can you post a few more pictures, especially of the back? It looks like there are only wires connecting to the back. Presumably, one wire (or one wire pair) was provided to backlight the red/green/yellow window. You say parts are missing. Was there also a tube connection? Do you have a picture of it as mounted on your Dodge?

pmhowe,  Thank you for your reply. I will post more photos tonight. These will show the construction and the wiring. This was an expensive unit to manufacture. 

Thank you, Terry

Here is a photo showing the gage in the dash of the Dodge DA. Another shows the attachment points for the 4 wires. The bulb that projects the light through the semaphore is shown in 2 photos. The 2 electromagnets that run the unit are shown with a sketch that I drew up.  The prism type lens is missing. I did not understand how the driver could see the semaphore flag since it is recessed from the viewing opening. My brother who is a great help with the research found that front view   print of the gage (from my initial post) in a book on automotive instruments. It showed how the light came through the semaphore and past the face of the gage via the prismatic lens. I am thinking that the lens was projecting past the face of the gage allowing the driver to see the color easily.  Surprisingly that book had no information at all about the gage, just that print.  The last photo shows a sketch that I drew showing a view of the inside of the gage and the solder attachment points for the electromagnets.

Thank you, Terry 

image.jpeg.e0df33a386e3cacfbe4534e33cd0107d.jpegimage.jpeg.80e6794a1f4f3342c988e334c9301d64.jpegimage.jpeg.5a808c0f9b8bb97542046ec1952025b9.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

That actually looks like an interesting piece of equipment. Would be fun to get it at least somewhat working again.

So by looking at it, it looks like the coils turn the facing with the triangular colored lenses. In 1929 Chevrolet, and some other manufacturers (Durant for one) used an electric heat gauge. It used a set of 4 bimetallic strips to move a standard electric heat gauge. As Normally the small spring in the gauge would move the needle to the lowest setting. As more bimetallic strip contacts closed to ground, it would move the needle to a warmer setting. When all 4 were closed the needle would move to the HOT setting and you needed to respond. This was in a 1/2" unit threaded into the cylinder head just above the water pump, and used one wire. It was found to be a somewhat problematic assembly and was only used in 1929. Seems like the sending unit was made by the Nagel Company. I suspect the sending unit that you are missing could have had a similar setup with 3, or 4 bimetallic contacts. The middle 2 contacts would indicate in the normal (green) range.

There was a technical article about rebuilding the Chevrolet bimetallic unit and dash gauge in the VCCA technical data site. I think this and the membership directory section are the only 2 areas of the website not accessible to non members. I may have a printed copy of it if you cannot find it elsewhere. I have 3 1929 Chevrolet's.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 11:45 PM, a sell said:

That actually looks like an interesting piece of equipment. Would be fun to get it at least somewhat working again.

So by looking at it, it looks like the coils turn the facing with the triangular colored lenses. In 1929 Chevrolet, and some other manufacturers (Durant for one) used an electric heat gauge. It used a set of 4 bimetallic strips to move a standard electric heat gauge. As Normally the small spring in the gauge would move the needle to the lowest setting. As more bimetallic strip contacts closed to ground, it would move the needle to a warmer setting. When all 4 were closed the needle would move to the HOT setting and you needed to respond. This was in a 1/2" unit threaded into the cylinder head just above the water pump, and used one wire. It was found to be a somewhat problematic assembly and was only used in 1929. Seems like the sending unit was made by the Nagel Company. I suspect the sending unit that you are missing could have had a similar setup with 3, or 4 bimetallic contacts. The middle 2 contacts would indicate in the normal (green) range.

There was a technical article about rebuilding the Chevrolet bimetallic unit and dash gauge in the VCCA technical data site. I think this and the membership directory section are the only 2 areas of the website not accessible to non members. I may have a printed copy of it if you cannot find it elsewhere. I have 3 1929 Chevrolet's.

a sell, Thank you for responding. A search of the internet did not yield any information on the article you mentioned. I would very much like to obtain a copy of that article if you are willing to part with it or possibly a copy of your copy. Let me know if you are able to find that information.

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Terry,

I have not been on this forum for a couple of weeks and even then did not see the notification at the top of my home page. I think I have a scanned copy of that article on a thumb drive. Give me your email address in a PM and in the mean time I will make sure I have the info. 

On 3/20/2024 at 10:09 PM, a sell said:

Hello Terry,

I have not been on this forum for a couple of weeks and even then did not see the notification at the top of my home page. I think I have a scanned copy of that article on a thumb drive. Give me your email address in a PM and in the mean time I will make sure I have the info. 

a sell, message sent.