Front/Rear Brake Mods

wufibug

This is a resuscitation of a years old thread.

Years ago I did the Camaro front brake mod on my 90 coupe.  The Camaro aluminum 2 piston caliper/bracket and almost 12" rotor required no modifications although I run 17" wheels.  I did find the Reatta brake hose to be too short so I had some longer stainless hoses fabricated. I did not then change the rears. I found absolutely no issues with the abs.  Stopping power is slightly better and the appearance along with modern spoked wheels is noticeably improved in my opinion.

I am now doing both front and rear mods on my 90 convertible.  I am going with the STS setup in the rear.  Daniel's old post on that subject mentioned changing the brake cables.  If anyone has done these mods, I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience.

1.  Did you use the STS emergency brake cables? 

2. Were you able to use the Reatta brake hoses in the rear and if not what did you use?

3. What did you use for brake hoses in the front with the 2000 Camaro setup? I don't want to have to go to fabrication again unless absolutely necessary.

I did the rear brake conversion using the 1996 Cadillac Eldorado. Went to the local you pick got 2 passenger side calipers with the Emergency Brake bracket. Easy swap with no need to swap cables. Make sure you get the springs on the Eldorado EB cable. They are different.

Used the you pick yard calipers at Advanced Auto as they were running a promotion.

Remember passenger side only.

Brake hose also from Eldorado, but I can't remember which side as one was longer then the other.

Didn't do the swap because of increased stopping power I did to avoid brake rattle.

Not my idea, McReatta did it and passed it on to me.

Been so long since I did the Camaro upgrade in the front, I can't remember if I used Camaro rotors or Reatta.

Dave, on the rear upgrade did you use Eldo rotors [11"] or Reatta [10"]?

BTW, rockauto.com was closing out Eldo calipers making it far cheaper to get their remanufactured right side calipers for under $10 each plus shipping [no core charge] than than it would have been to go to the pull your parts yard that now charges $5 admission and $25 for calipers plus a core charge.  Likewise the longer brake hoses were $6.50 plus shipping which made getting 25 y.o. hoses impractical. The only thing I needed from the salvage car donor car was the brackets as rockauto wanted $33 + $10 core charge for a pair plus shipping.  

20 hours ago, wufibug said:

Been so long since I did the Camaro upgrade in the front, I can't remember if I used Camaro rotors or Reatta.

Dave, on the rear upgrade did you use Eldo rotors [11"] or Reatta [10"]?

BTW, rockauto.com was closing out Eldo calipers making it far cheaper to get their remanufactured right side calipers for under $10 each plus shipping [no core charge] than than it would have been to go to the pull your parts yard that now charges $5 admission and $25 for calipers plus a core charge.  Likewise the longer brake hoses were $6.50 plus shipping which made getting 25 y.o. hoses impractical. The only thing I needed from the salvage car donor car was the brackets as rockauto wanted $33 + $10 core charge for a pair plus shipping.  

Eldorado rotors

Jon, are you referring to the rear Eldorado modification or the front Camaro setup?

For the rear, both sides take the longer Eldo brake hose which is the rear right at 12".  The part number is DORMAN H380578, SUNSONG 2203866,  or the CENTRIC 15062349.

When I did the front Camaro on my white coupe, I had custom stainless longer hoses made.  I'm now doing front and back on my red convertible and will be looking for off-the-shelf longer hoses for the front.  OEM Reatta and Eldo front hoses are the same configuration and same length, 17.5", which I felt might stress the hose when the suspension is fully extended.  

If anyone who has done the front Camaro mod found longer hoses with the proper configuration, please let me know car/year you used.  Thanks.