1926 Chrysler Imperial Engine Number and Fedco Id

I am in Western Australia and I have embarked on the restoration of an Imperial E80 which most people would walk away from.  Here is a picture of the remains of the car. I am motivated to build a replica of the car driven by Stuart Gore around Australia. The car was called Annabel and the book was called Overlanding with Annabel. I have had the Imperial E80 for about 25 years and I felt that I had either to do something with it or to scrap it. I decided to bring it to life for its 100th birthday and work has begun to strip the chassis and start on the engine.  Only a handful of Imperials were ever brought into Perth, WA in 1926.  I am more familiar with the later 1920s Chryslers but the Imperial is interesting.  The chassis number is W221C on the Fedco plate making the car 1926.  It is curious how the patent plate is riveted upside down on the firewall (not sure why that was done - I know we live "down under"!). The engine number is E3041. From my books, I understand that only about 1000 Imperials were fabricated in 1926 so I don't know why the engine number is in the three thousands.  The casting ID on the block is interesting, too.  It is 55000-1.  I have a spare E80 engine which has a different casting ID - it is also 55000-1 but it also has CWC cast above the number and it looks like 317 cast to the right of the number.  By now, I guess only the people really interested in Imperials and numbers are still reading this, so I will keep talking! The differential has DTA in a triangle cast into it. Who was DTA?  Finally, perhaps what is most fascinating to me is that the castings for the spring hangars which hold the rubber blocks are cast with the DB indicating that they were made by Dodge Brothers. This is two years before Walter Chrysler took over Dodge Brothers in 1928. Of course, Dodge made components for lots of other people. I have a Ford Model T with DB castings on it. Who would have thought a luxury Imperial would have had Dodge parts! The Dodge boys were smart. In 1926 you could buy 10 Ford Model Ts for the cost of one Imperial E80 - the Dodges didn't mind who they made parts for! I hope you find all of this interesting. If anyone can decode anything of what I have found, then let me know!

Imperial E80 IMG_0003.JPG

Chrysler Imperial E80 Fedco at Steven's Outside DSC_1288.JPG

Chrysler Imperial E80 stripping the chassis DSC_1195.JPG

Imperial E80 engine no 04.jpg

Imperial E80 Engine casting no 6.MP.jpg

Chrysler Imperial E80 Engine York DSC_1118.JPG

Imperial E80 casting on diff.jpg

• Like 1

G’day over in the west, looks like a great project and I sure you’ll have the old girl back on the road for her 100th birthday.

just some info for you.

CWC= Campbell Wynat and Cannon foundry

TDA= Timken Detroit Axle. Timken- Detroit became Rockwell in -1953.

can you please give us a head on photo of the Fedco ID plate, no big thing as I think I can see the E at the bottom of the Chrysler emblem at the front at the Bottom as the Fedco number should be starting with an E, the front letter can be a bit hard to read because of the emblem being there.

Cheers from Sydney.

IMG_1018.png

Edited by Sasha39 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Sasha, 

Greetings from the other side of the Nullarbor.  I am impressed by the knowledge of you and Narva.  I have owned the car for more than two decades and now I know that it was number 2212 out of 9,114 cars, and built in April 1926. That gives me a point to celebrate its birthday - I have to get it together by then! It is fascinating that this earlier engine was cast somewhere else, but the later one at the Campbell Wynat and Cannon foundry. The engine number is a long way from the chassis number perhaps indicating that the chassis were numbered from different foundries.  I will post the engine number for the other engine when I can ring the engine reconditioner in the morning. That engine had a nasty crack between a valve and the water jacket inside the engine and it will be better (hopefully) to use the original engine from the chassis - which is better anyway!

Thanks again

Graeme

Chrysler Imperial E80 Fedco 36.jpg

While we are at it, here is the build information that Narve mentioned.

Also you might like to check out this site, look at page 35.

https://www.web.imperialclub.info/Articles/Fedco/index.htm

Or here if you don’t have a owners manual look here, you can print out each page.

https://www.web.imperialclub.info/Yr/1926/26Owners/Page001.htm

IMG_1021.jpeg.89fb295c8a5f02979ed8ed99fe8cf00f.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, working on the April 1926 production date for the car, the next question is "When did it arrive in Western Australia"?  Is it safe to assume that the early left-hand-drive Imperials were made in Detroit rather than in Canada? The car has a standard length chassis and the windscreen posts seem to place it as either a roadster or a tourer.  As far as I can gather from "Trove" newspapers, the first Imperial 80s were imported into Western Australia in September 1926 to be on the William Attwood Motors (the WA Chrysler dealer) display stand at the Perth Motor Show. There was a sedan which received high praise in the local press and a roadster. I haven't found any images of the roadster but maybe my car is the one from the Motor Show. Unfortunately, I don't have the rest of the body to tell whether it was a roaster or a tourer. Considering the car was manufactured in April, then September may be a logical time for it to be shipped from the USA or Canada to Western Australia. Perth is literally the other side of the world to Bermuda (the antipodal point!) so it took a long time to ship a car half way around the world.  Five months from manufacture to delivery?  Not bad, I suppose. There is nothing in the papers about other Imperials arriving earlier in the year. I also don't know who bought it. Interesting as well is that it had wooden wheels. The sedan at the motor show had wooden wheels. On the rough West Australian roads, wooden wheels were preferred because they didn't transmit the road noise so much.

• Like 1

Hi Sasha,

The most important buyer of Imperials from Billy Attwood was the mining entrepreneur Claude de Bernales. Attwood was a bookkeeper in his office in Kalgoorlie before he began selling cars so his old boss would buy cars from him.  The famous photograph of an Imperial L80 with the Golden Eagle nugget in it was De Bernales' car.  That car ended up as Stuart Gore's Annabel - my car will be a tribute to that car. I bought the car several decades ago from a gentleman in Cottesloe near Perth who was clearing out his backyard and asked me whether I wanted the car.  He had buoght it sight unseen many years before as he thought it was a Hupmobile straight eight (yes, strange but true!). When he had it delivered he realised that it definitely wasn't! He told me at the time that he was told it was the "Yalgoo taxi".  Now, Yalgoo is a tiny gold mining town and I can't imagine it needed a taxi.  However, on the Murchison coast is a town called Northampton.  There was a pastoralist who had a couple of Imperials according to Trove but that is as far as I have gone with it.  The Carnamah people have done a great job assembling the registration records and it just shows what a bonanza having the Chrysler dealership must have been for Billy Attwood.

Thanks for the info Graeme, interesting you mention Northampton as in 1926 there were two Chrysler's registered in the Northampton Road Board district, like I said it's a shame The Carnamah site does mention the models.

A.G. Drage, rego NR 78 Chrysler Northampton  although Trove says that the rego was NR.51— A. G. Drage, Chrysler 80.

the second car registered owner  K. Maley, rego NR 129 Chrysler Northampton interestingly enough married a Janet Jean DRAGE in Nothampton in 1928, who happens to be the daughter of Albert George DRAGE who owns the Chrysler Imperial 80, interesting stuff this detective work but I think you better PM as this may not be interesting to the other members of the forum,

Let’s get back to talking about our cars.

Hi Graeme   I did own 3 E80s and 2 L80s  until recently  , live in Qld now   have a bit of Knowledge of this model . find me on face book  Rod Hokin

I still own a 1926 E80 roadster at the moment, can help   

• Like 1

Hi Sasha and Rod, Thanks to you both.  I will get in touch separately. I am fascinated by some of the features of this E80. For example, the rear axle is huge!  I am having some brake drums cast as the Series 72 size brake drums we had cast 20 years ago are fractionally smaller - just enough for them not be able to be machined to fit the diameter of the E80. Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Great project, I hope it goes well!

Are you aware there is a tour in March to celebrate 100-years of Chrysler? There are 2 starting points, from central NSW, and central Victoria, converging on 

Albury/Wodonga for Chrysler's on the Murray. I know of 2 (possibly 3) E80's starting in NSW, and hopefully another one coming from Vic.

There are also 2 cars making the journey from WA. Could be a great opportunity to meet some fellow E80 owners!!

Let me know if would like some more details?