Removing windshield film and crud...

Guest Teamsterdug

Guest Teamsterdug

Anyone know what products are out there to remove built up crud on automotive glass? I need to come up with something (besides extreme elbow grease) that will buff wax film, overspray and just general crud off the windshield. It seems like I have seen stuff in various catalogs in the past but can't seem to find anything now that I'd really like some.

Guest DeSoto Frank

My local Mom & Pop hardware store carries it....if you can't find any, drop me an e-mail and I'll see if I can hook you up w/ some.

Frank McMullen

Guest Indiana_Truck

I have used one sided razor blades to get the heavy stuff off and then window cleaner with old newspaper. I have done window tint and they recomend the razor blades before you start and it didn't hurt the glass but I would only use a new one.

Guest imported_JPIndusi

Be very careful with Goof Off or other solvents such as Zylol, acetone, etc. When you get near the edge of the glass, the solvent can attach the center layer of laminated glass or the glue that holds the sheets in the laminate. You will get clouding and crinkling around the edges.

Joe

i used "soft-scrub" it's a bathroom and kitchen cleaner (buy it at your local grocery store)and a sponge, along with a razor blade.

get the glass soupy with the soft scrub, sponge it down good

and razor blade the tough spots, rinse well!!.

forget that goof-off stuff!

dont forget the wiper blades, run the sponge on those too!

Guest DeSoto Frank

I have used baking soda as a very mild "abrasive" for cleaning glass and china...make a "loose" paste and rub gently w/ a clean damp sponge.

This may not cut heavy deposits like mineral or rust stains, but may be a good final polish after you've scraped.

Good luck!

Frank McMullen

In my window film installation business we see, and clean, acres of glass. I've not found any crud that will withstand a fresh single-edge razor blade or very fine steel wool. Use some Windex-type glass cleaner for lubrication if you wish, this makes final cleanup easier too. Never any damage to the glass, as far as I know, and there is no danger of harming nearby trim, upholstery or whatever with a more powerful cleaner.