1932 Dictator Cleaning undercarriage

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

Such a beautiful car!

Thank you, agreed! I wasn't in the market but when it appeared for sale in our local car club newsletter, I took the plunge. My first 'true' antique car and I am learning a lot about preciousness of pre-war parts. I have had it less than a year.

20231014_143329.jpg

20230719_204732.jpg

Edited by ddavis
addition (see edit history)
  • Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

After the thorough cleaning of the pumpkin I have found that the leak is coming from the front (driveline side) differential cover, not the rear cover as I expected. The rear cover has a gasket but none is visible nor shown on the front cover in the parts books. I need to split the case there and apply some kind of minimal sealant- any advice of what sealant  and method works well?

Edited by ddavis
correction (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, early cars seep…..and some leak. We tried to make one particular car 100 percent tight…..(1936 Pierce V-12) Spent a bunch of time and money to try and make it totally dry during a frame off……..it didn’t work. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 12:07 PM, edinmass said:

Unfortunately, early cars seep…..and some leak. We tried to make one particular car 100 percent tight…..(1936 Pierce V-12) Spent a bunch of time and money to try and make it totally dry during a frame off……..it didn’t work. 

Your not the first person, with much more experience than I, stating I may be wasting my time trying to have a pre-war car with very few leaks. I will continue to fix what I can but I will be more realistic about my goals. I don't like having my car leave any mess when I go to a car show. Often the folks that let us use their parking lots for car shows are doing it gratis, so I take a BIG drip pan that fits in a contractor garbage bag. It is a pain. 

• Like 1