Replacing the blower controller resistors on a 1995 Buick LeSabre with manual control

wnlewis

I burned out the resistor controller on my 1995 Buick LeSabre. The motor was bad and didn't turn. Smoke came out the front windshield vent, so I may have really fried the resistor controller and maybe a relay.

A new motor has been installed. It still does not run, even on high.

I have a new resistor controller. The car has the four speed fan option, not the automatic.

Now I need to learn how (or if I have to) to remove the Maxi Relay/Fuse assembly so that I can replace the resistor controller.

Or, I need to find out if the resistor controller can be replaced without removing the Maxi Relay/Fuse assembly. Or if the resistor controller is in the passenger compartment up under and behind the glove box.

I have the Buick shop manual, but it is not very explicit about how to remove/install the Maxi Relay/Fuse assembly.

Thanks for any help.

The blower motor resistors and the related modules for the auto a/c system are under the hood, in the a/c case housing.  Should be a wiring harness which attaches to it, on the top of one of the hvac case halves, in plain sight.  Look for where the a/c compressor lines go into the housing and the resistor plate should be nearby.

As I recall, the MaxiFuse just plugs in with no special drama in changing it.  Is it also blown?

From my recollections,

NTX5467

• Thanks 1

On my former 1993 Regal, I found the blower resistor inside the cabin, about as low towards the passengers side floor board as it possibly could have been. That was a real uncomfortable spot to get to in the dead of winter... 

• Like 1

Problem solved! THANKS!

I expected to have to replace the resistor assembly, but the fuse (30 AMP slow blow MaxiFuse) did what it was supposed to do.

Once the new one was installed, everything worked correctly! Plus I learned a good amount.

When I get the time, I will take out the fuse and relay assembly, find the resistor assembly and document the whole thing with pictures and writing so that others will be able to do it easily.

Do you, by any chance, know if there is an aftermarket dark gray/black plastic shield that goes over all of the components next to the firewall. The original one cracked and disintegrated several years ago. I don't have a drain tube for the motor and would like to have that.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, wnlewis said:

Do you, by any chance, know if there is an aftermarket dark gray/black plastic shield that goes over all of the components next to the firewall. The original one cracked and disintegrated several years ago.

sorry, I have no clue about that.  Rather tend to doubt it, although that box was probably used in just about every GM car of that generation. 

• Like 1