1927 Buick 27-27 transmission removal

Slawnski

Pulled the engine from the 27 today- that was fun! Glad I descided to pull it- easier to clean inspect and reseal now. My question here is regarding the transmission. I’ll be removing that as well to clean, reseal ect. I’m not very familiar with prewar vehicles- my apologies. Where is the best joint to unbolt to remove the transmission from the rest of the drivetrain?IMG_8597.jpeg.6286c4ffe41312dcbcaf2b48aaffe6eb.jpeg

Just remove the 4 rearmost bolts. The driveshaft in splined in the universal. It will just slide out.  The universal is in the bell part. You will have that off before you are done too.

10 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

are you removing the rear diff?

At some point now it’s all coming out/off. Jogging stuff around in the next couple days to part the body from the frame and move the frame to a spot it can be pulled apart cleaned and painted. The transmission and engine are pretty grimey - wouldn’t hurt to remove, clean, seal and paint while I wait for engine bits. 

1 hour ago, Slawnski said:

At some point now it’s all coming out/off. Jogging stuff around in the next couple days to part the body from the frame and move the frame to a spot it can be pulled apart cleaned and painted. The transmission and engine are pretty grimey - wouldn’t hurt to remove, clean, seal and paint while I wait for engine bits. 

from memory the manual says the easiest way of doing it is to unbolt the rear diff and roll it back out of the way and then remove the tranny

• Like 1

Pre War you say ? If the rear has leaf springs  remove the U bolts . dis connect the brake lines , open the ball behind the tranny and pull the diff assembly back . While you are at it check, resurface the flywheel, replace pilot bushing and release bearings. Oil seals are usually made of wine cork.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

from memory the manual says the easiest way of doing it is to unbolt the rear diff and roll it back out of the way and then remove the tranny

Engine is already out. Rear axle can stay.