Just fitted Buick alloy valve covers to my 64 Electra convertible.

Wayne R

Had these alloy covers for about 12 years now, and every time i sighted them in storage, i  thought  i will fit them one day. So last week decided to fit these to my 1964 stock 401ci , started with the drivers side all easy  and great,

then started on passenger side  ---not so easy--looked like probably was not going to fit,---never thought to check, first as  apparently, when your car is stock standard with A/6 compressor fitted etc, one requires very hard

to find or obtain is 425  GS bracket which  allows for the about  1/4 inch extra height.

so i decided to cut out  3  small sections about3/4 inch wide in the appropriate areas where the bracket meets cover, drilled out  3 of the holes  extra 1/16 inch in rear of compressor,  by fitting extra  1/4 inch bolt   at top  to inlet  connection, then fitting 3/8 bolt to lower connection  on exhaust manifold---all was perfect and is great.

i realize they are from 1966 year and ,removing the steel from the bracket  may have weekend the bracket,

but  being about 1/8 inch think after bolting all up , all good and strong.--may help others.

IMG_2229.JPG alloy.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG alloy.JPG

IMG_2250.JPG alloy.JPG

IMG_2239.JPG alloy.JPG

IMG_2249.JPG alloy.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG alloy.JPG

IMG_2231.JPG alloy.JPG

Edited by Wayne R
photo (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Nice modification. Since the bracket is relatively easy to access, it may help to consider having a shop (or whomever)  weld a continuous strap of similar gauge metal across the top and to the edges of the gaps. 

Posted (edited)

Yes thank you John, as you can see my car is not a show  example, but yes that would be a good idea,

for others wanting a more professional  look.

the area of the bracket that touches the valve cover, before cutting  is the rounded   angled corner, raping all the way round.

as you can see i did mine in a vice ,hack saw and drill,  by hand.---.i should have mentioned  also that you dont have to remove the compressor as it is held at the front bracket by  2 bolts, just had to loosen those bolts a little, before loosening the 2 bolts  for the  alternator releasing the tension of the  fan belts at front.

IMG_2222.JPG alloy.JPG

Edited by Wayne R
photo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2024 at 12:43 AM, 1965rivgs said:

`66 valve covers

TM

Yes   TM i mentioned that in my original info---thanks.