1931 Imperial Wheel Cylinders Part 2.

Joao46

Hi

So I’ve removed the wheel cylinders from my car and all had stuck pistons.

They all looked to have been re sleeved with I think Stainless steel.

Also they were all straight, no step bores. But the front ones are bigger than the rear wheel ones.

I bought the set of new cylinders from eBay supposedly for my vehicle and these are step bore and are all the same, interestingly, the smaller of the step bore pistons are the same diameter as my current rear cylinders’ pistons and the larger of the step bore pistons match my current front ones.

Any recommendations? I could try to use the new pistons and assemblies from the new cylinders on my old cylinders matching the bore sizes but I feel that this may not be very smart, safety wise.

So, any recommendations of places I should send my current cylinders to get resleeved again and rebuilt? 

Thanks. 

It appears you are correct that your wheel cylinders have been re sleeved.  I would buy a wheel cylinder repair kit for each wheel.  These are new kits and can be bought by bore size.  I have the # for NAPA 1 1/4 bore.  I checked my return spring  length  of my 32 MoPar and it was 5 1/4.  Good Luck

• Thanks 1

I think it would be wise to find out which is the correct cylinder for your car. If the ones on it are correct just use a rebuild kit as DFeeney suggests. If your replacements are correct use those. Early cars favored sooner & firmer braking at the rear, thus a smaller bore. Modern thought is just the reverse.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)