P2 window

vette-kid

Ok, so I'm getting the interior sorted it's fine too start looking at the next step.   I need to address the windshield.   The glass is fine, it just needs new rubber and the range has a few questionable areas.   

O know I've seen worse, is this likely to be fixable?  

Also, I have found the rubber that attached to the outer frame.   I havn't found the piece that attaches to the window itself. 

20231223_103133.jpg

20231223_103120.jpg

20231223_103126.jpg

RS has  rubber for the outer part of the frame which is either 2897 or 2897A. My rubber was gone too, so I'm not exactly sure which one is correct. I'm thinking the 2897A but the Steele book shows one closer to the  2897.The rubber on the car is 2 different pieces. their no 4796W looks like it might work but it doesn't seem quite large enough. the lower piece mounts under the dash panel. the only one that I know of that has that piece is Steel  Rubber. They have a kit that's supposed to replace both pieces, but again, I'm not sure that it's absolutely correct, but it's the only option for the lower piece. Again, though, this kit is not cheap. The rubber around the frame slides into a channel around the frame, which can be a little tricky to install. t has to be installed in 2 pieces and after getting it in the channel, it must sit and find it's resting area before cutting and glueing the corners. Steele Rubber shows a kit specifically for 1936 Plymouths but it might be a good idea to call .   I think you have to remove the inside garnish mouldings to change the seal but I could be wrong. I really haven't gotten that far. Looks like the frame corners need some TLC.  If you carefully remove the bottom channel and clean out all the rust the frame may meet up again. Just have to be really careful removing and reinstalling the lower channel.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               14                           

Edited by jpage (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Steele lists them both,  70-1853-2 that mounts to the body and 40-0018-52 that slides in the channel on the windshield frame.  Bernbaum also lists the second part for half the cost ($40 vs $83)A-310.  So I'll order those soon. 

My concern right now is finding lots of rust in the frame when I take it off, of I can figure out how to get out off the windshield.   I don't see rust evidence elsewhere, so it's a bit strange.   The frame itself seems hard to find and expensive if you do find it!

I'd also like to find an electric wiper conversion if anyone knows where to find one.   I dint like vacuum wipers (or anything really).  My C3 had vacuum headlights, that got ripped out after a few winking headlight moments in favor of electric mirrors from a Mazda Miata.  I've seen kits for hot rods, but $400 seems excessive and I'm guessing they are 12v.

Looking more carefully at the pics, it does appear that there's some thinning of the metal and rust through on the bottom frame. Not to say that it can't be repaired but it might be better to see if you can find another frame. You might place a want add on the forum, you never know. With these cars, one thing leads to another! 

• Like 1