1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Aztec - Built by George Barris - $201,000

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Aztec for sale - Kenilworth, IL - craigslist

The Chevy Aztec goes back to the days when brothers George and Sam Barris were just getting started. The car first made its appearance at the 1959 Detroit Autorama. It was built by Barris for his friend Bill Carr. Based on a brand new 1955 Chevy Bel Air convertible, the car was modified by Barris using the imagination and talent that resulted in some of the most innovative Kustom styling tricks of the day. The current owner has had it for 30 years and now it is time for a new caretaker to enjoy. Clean and clear title in the Florida owner’s name.

-Honey Gold Candy Paint by House of Kolor
-Custom lead and bodywork including hand-formed cantilever roof by Barris' Metal-shaping Guru Bill DeCarr
-Rear fenders extended 18 inches
-Custom tail fins from a Studebaker Hawk
-Hand-formed Red lucite tail lights
-Narrowed and peaked 1957 DeSoto bumpers and mesh grille
-Custom grille openings with cut and widened 1953 Studebaker pans
-1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser headlights and fender skirts modified with scoops
-Custom chrome and fluted aluminum trim for a two-tone effect

-Correct Copper Frieze and White upholstery
-Crushed velour and matching headliner
-Tuck ‘n Roll padded dash and door panels
-Barris Crest and Aztec script on speaker grill
-Custom knobs and switches
-Classically large original white steering wheel
-Padded sun visors
-Factory AM radio
-All systems & gauges in working order
-Custom targa style top

-350 Chevy V8 small block
-Automatic transmission
-4-barrel carburetor
-Chrome valve covers
-Chrome air cleaner
-Power steering and brakes
-Dual spotlights
-Wide whitewall tires
-Full size wheel covers
-Clean engine compartment

This car is being auctioned on a new classic car auction site. We provide a professional photos and a walk around video - See the auction here - https://www.clasiq.com/auction/1955-chevrolet-bel-air-barris-built-aztec/

Call/Text: (701)-645-1182

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.
Blake

image.png.fef397e6e7ef43885ad3e98462786389.pngimage.png.28c049e40b5dd9e445edff4ea69e3753.png

image.png.a7a6c773284aefc70e32964f074c2f06.pngimage.png.de16ece997140b872371c2d24a4c02a1.png   

image.png.e3e84775d89c58bb1a2089cca040a322.png

image.png.d7e1ca466d4ba1bc3bef3a4e3db7a0d2.png

• Like 1

Very interesting and radical. If the ad hadn't revealed the car's origins I never would've guessed it was a '55 Chevy. The dashboard is the only conspicuous clue, at least to my uneducated eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if the Barris connection gets the asking price, but like I said, I know little about this stuff.

Not that it matters, but this car is not in the Chicago suburbs. It's on an auction site and whoever posts to CL defaults to that area. I'm guessing because that's the among the wealthiest neighborhoods in Illinois, but who knows why they do it.

2 hours ago, Dave Wells said:

Even if you are not into custom cars, you need to read the history link above. This car has more provenance than many, many classics:   A bank robber, FBI seizure (twice), further modification, deterioration,  a narrow escape from the crusher, restoration, sales and auctions. It would probably make a good book, if somebody wanted to write it. 

Thank you George (both of you).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1