1930 STUDEBAKER COMMANDER 8

HENRY Maurice

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/12/2023 at 12:12, charlespetty said:

Pourquoi faut-il démonter l'unité roue libre ? Il suffit de le débrayer et vous disposez déjà d'une transmission normale sans roue libre.  

Good morning,
I want to remove the freewheel mechanism because it does not work, it always tries to activate even when pressing the button on the lever.
If you have an idea to deactivate it, I'm interested.
Sincerely
Maurice

On 19/12/2023 at 21:02, George Rohrbach said:

On dirait que la voiture est de 1931.

Good morning,
Perhaps, its serial number is 8035006 and body number 70W21715.
The circulation documents are from the year 1930.
Sincerely
Maurice

Although I always think of the Model 70 being 1931, however, The Studebaker Master Catalog Chassis Parts Catalog, has it listed for 1930 - 1931!

Body tag 70W2 1715, is for a 4 Door Regal Cruising Sedan. The 1715th body built.

I also have a 1931 Commander Model 70, 4 Door, Regal Cruising Sedan. Mine has deteriorated into a parts car.

Geroge Rohrbach

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning
Your remark seems correct, the 70W2 model with its serial number corresponds to a year 1931, it remains to check the engine number.
Thanks for this adjustment.

I'm going to disassemble the gearbox to figure out what's wrong with the freewheel.

Sincerely
Maurice HENRY

I have a car with a  free wheeling  transmission.  It has a 2 position  lever on the side of the case.  .  One way is free wheeling, the other way is non free wheeling.   When I purchased the car 40 years ago a strap had added to lock the lever in the non free wheeling position .  I have never moved it and works like a non free wheeling transmission.   Yours  should work the same way. 

• 2 months later...

Bonjour

Je me remet à réfléchir sur la boite Free Wheeling WGC (Warner Gear Comp.). Gravage de fonderie T75-1 sur le coté et T75-148 sur le couvercle.(photos)

Pas de levier de verrouillage sur le coté, juste un bouton sur le levier de vitesse.

Si une personne a les plans de cette boite à vitesse, je suis preneur.

Salutations

HENRY Maurice

STUDEBAKER Commander 8, Série 70, année 1931.

BV1.jpg

BV3.jpg

BV4.jpg

Here is the drawing from the 1929-1940 Chassis Parts Catalog for the 1930-31 transmission for 8 cylinder Commander and President cars.

transmission1930.jpg.ad1b3717f5713200da2c8e50b0d050de.jpg

• Like 2