WTB - 1930 Studebaker tie rod ends

broushey

Hello all,

New to the site, looking for help locating or to buy a set of 1930 Studebaker Commander 8 tie rod ends, need one for the RH side at least.
Removed the part and cannot find a part number anywhere on it, but it have attached a couple pictures.  I believe the threads on the male end are 9/16-18, threads on the female end are 3/4-16, and the measurement from center of ball to female end is 3 inches.
Clamp is a separate piece, grease zerk is oriented straight to the center (not offset).
Thanks for any help!
Bill

1930Stude1.jpg

1930Stude2.jpg

1930Stude3.jpg

You should add a picture of what  'rod'  this  'end' came off of. .  There are 'rod ends' listed in the parts books for  steering knuckle, tie rod ends, and supports... Inners and outers....   I looked in the book and got lost pretty quick !  

I believe that the TRW ES185R and ES185L tie rod ends will fit steering arms in your car.  They are nominally designed for 1941-1949 International trucks.  

The problem is that the threads that screw onto the tie rods are different diameter than your tie rod.  Tie rods are normally made in one piece by swaging down the ends to a smaller diameter (which thickens the metal), then threading.  I think a new rod can be made by threading steel round bar, sliding it into a larger diameter tube, and welding it together.  Some states do not allow any welding on steering parts, though.  

The tie rod end companies, like Moog, will not assist you in suggesting a tie rod end from another car because of liability issues.  It is also difficult to get specs on the length of the tapered section, its large and small diameters, and the thread size.  I went through this when trying to find tie rod ends for a 1929 Studebaker President axle, very frustrating.   In the end, I used a tie rod and ends from a later Dictator but had to add threads to the rod.  The tapered male ends did fit.

I do have an NOS pair of the ES185 ends.  The female tie rod thread seems to be 1"-16.  The male end has a 5/8 thread, thread length 0.975", taper length about 1.00", big end .809" dia., small end .687" dia.  You can have these for $50 plus shipping, USPS flat rate box.  If they don't fit, you can send them back.

I may have my old tie rod ends.  If so, I'll go double-check the stud dimensions.

tierodendsES185RL.JPG.ae69a0a70228a9ace9e0b88c3cad9e2d.JPG

Tie rod ends for models FC, FD, 61.

Studebaker part numbers, for complete tie rod end.

Right 165724

Left 165725

The number that are listed in my Toledo catalog:

ES5

Although catalog doesn't list, I would imagine would actually be ES5R and ES5L.

I think most of the aftermarket manufacturers like TRW etc., used the same numbering systems.

I do not have any, the earliest that I have are ES25, which are for 1934 up.

You'll have to call places that deal in older chassis parts to try to find them. Or Gary's solution seems workable.

Good luck

• Like 1

I searched the garage, found the old tie rod ends from the 1929 President.  The male end of the ball stud has a 9/16" thread, taper is as noted above.  I tried them in the steering arms of the Dictator (Model 55 or 56?) that I took for my Indy car's 1929 President front axle.  The female thread on the tie rod end housing is 3/4" dia., maybe 3/4-16.  They are used, somewhat worn, but should be useable.  I have both the left and right sides.  I don't have the felt/rubber seals but those can be easily made.  Price is $50 for the pair plus shipping.

I also checked that the ES185 tie rod ends fit the Dictator arms even though the stud is threaded 5/8 instead of 9/16.

tierodend1929President.jpg.012647b16d08e1ea65a30a63672eacf7.jpg

Tie rod end from 1929 President.  Ball diameter is 1".  Parts don't exactly coincide with 1929-40 parts book lists, so may have been replacement ends.

I remembered I had a copy of John Shanahan's article about 1930ish tie rod ends.

A note about using ES185R and ES185L tie rod ends:  To avoid having to make a new tie rod, I think some threaded sleeves could be used.  Take a 6" length of 1" o.d. x 5/8" i.d DOM steel tube, bore the i.d. to about .690"-.695" and thread for 3/4-16 to a depth of 2.75"-3.00".  Turn the o.d to about 0.980" and thread the outside for 1"-16.  Those will be loose fit threads but strong enough.  Cut off a 2.5" length of threaded tube.  Repeat for the left-hand threaded version, inner and outer threads.  Insert the sleeves into the tie rod ends and pin in place or use blue Loctite on the 1"-16 threads.  It might require using a 3/4-16 short bolt as a tool to drive the tube into the tie rod end.  Then the original tie rod can be used.  I think the tie rod and end threads are 16 threads/inch but double check with a thread gauge. 

tierodends1Shanahan.jpg.dcd30e2974a84ff3030174823b5eecce.jpg

tierodends2Shanahan.jpg.cea658ea3f5ff043ea40363c676989a8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Gary-
You are absolutely on track- those rod ends you have from the 1929 President (disassembled) seem to be a match- the "housing" or body of the rod end is formed steel (not cast like other parts) and the thread sizes you estimate are what I measure as well- 9/16-18UNF on the ball end and 3/4-16 on the rod end.

Seeing yours completely apart and cleaned, along with the great article you provided (thank you), gives me motivation to disassemble this one and see if it can be refurbished.

To answer an earlier question, these are the outer tie rod end that mounts the steering tie rod to the front spindles (picture attached).  The tie rod itself is also as Gary describes, larger diameter main tube with each end tapered and swaged to the smaller, threaded diameter.  The tie rod on this vehicle is straight, so even if I had to have a new one fabricated with different thread sizes, it might be somewhat straightforward.

My preference is to use as similar to original parts as I can, so I'm interested in buying the President end parts from you (the pair).  I'll send you a direct message with contact details.

Once I get through this, I'll post up some findings and my ultimate solution.  So far, you have all been very helpful and encouraging, I sincerely appreciate your time and information!

Bill

StudebakerA.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Broushey I have a pair or Thompson ES21 Tie Rod ends they are right and left just like what you have in your photo the box is marked ES21, I sell on eBay and Facebook and Hersey, these are available from other vendors online, they want 110.00 to 124.95 each, the set I have is made by Thompson a very old made in the USA company, new never installed and has the old original springs and seals. I need 90.00 for the pair shipped to you if you are in the USA, let me know if you are interested I can take paypal or you can send me a check however we don't ship till the check clears, thanks. 

Johnny Cross

mgddraft2@att.net

317-997-8697 (leave a message or text I will get back to you shortly)

119_4882.JPG

119_4883.JPG

119_4884.JPG

119_4885.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Johnny, but I purchased the tie rods from Gary and are fitting them currently, so I believe I have what I need now.  I'll keep your contact handy though for any future needs!
Kind Regards