air ride suspension question - 1969 VW

Buick35

This probably isn't the best place to post but it is on my son's 69 v.w. Anyway I got new brass air shock fittings today and I thought that would solve my air leak since the old ones were plastic.They came with a red sealant on the threads and I tightened it down and squirted it with soapy water and it bubbled so I removed it and used Teflon tape, still leaked,I guess tomorrow I'll try pipe thread paste.I read blue lock tite might work.Any suggestions are appreciated.Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Do you have a compression ring on the end of the tubing?  If so, did you replace it with the one that came with the new fitting?  Once they've been compressed they'll never seal again in a different fitting.

Teflon tape is not a good idea in an air fitting that depends on compression to seal, too easy for a thread to get into the compression surfaces.

Keith

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to air ride suspension question - 1969 VW

Pictures of both the fitting and the hole you are trying to put it into would help. Also the old plastic part if you have it. The only time you need teflon tape or other sealant is for tapered pipe threads. Are you sure the red wasn't thread locker on straight threads?

11 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Pictures of both the fitting and the hole you are trying to put it into would help. Also the old plastic part if you have it. The only time you need teflon tape or other sealant is for tapered pipe threads. Are you sure the red wasn't thread locker on straight threads?

I'll try to get pictures.I think that was thread locker since I don't believe it's a tapered thread.I can try more thread locker,the removable type.Thanks

22 minutes ago, Buick35 said:

I'll try to get pictures.I think that was thread locker since I don't believe it's a tapered thread.I can try more thread locker,the removable type.Thanks

If the threads are straight, then no amount of teflon tape will seal them reliably. Straight threads require a sealing washer.

Pictures, or at least a reference to the type of fitting would really help.  An air fitting with straight threads would have to have some sort of compression surface to make the seal.  A flare, maybe???

Unfortunately, I don't have much faith in technical advice from someone behind the counter in a parts store.  Unless you are fortunate enough to find an old-line parts guy who hasn't retired yet, you'll be talking to a computer jockey who really doesn't know anything about what they're selling beyond what's shown on the computer.  Sad, but that's the current state of affairs.

Keith

• Like 1

I tried some pipe thread paste I bought at Ace hardware and so far so good.It's called rector seal #5. The right rear still has a slow leak that I'll have to put the sealant on those fittings after I get it back from the body shop but the left front dosent leak at all.