1954 Radiator Support Help

Mariiboops

I need to do something about the condition of my radiator support/front mount of the Chieftain I'm working on, whether it be to have it cheaply fix at a welder's or have it replaced. My primary issue is that I have absolutely no reference for what one is supposed to look like when it isn't rusted apart from the air vents down. 

I would appreciate either pictures or an offer to buy a good one, but I can't put the car back together unless I figure something out. I'll be busy repainting until that point.

WIN_20231202_15_41_54_Pro.jpg

WIN_20231202_15_42_17_Pro.jpg

• 1 month later...

Since nobody has replied to this topic, let me relay my new plans:

I have decided due to sheer availability and options; I will cut out the rusted lower sections below the vents and have a 1954 Chevy truck's radiator support mounted between the original Pontiac posts. I should be able to do so with bolts and thick plating instead of welding as to not make changes that are difficult to remove.

I'll be using a 3-row aluminum radiator for the same truck, but upgrade if the need arises. Once the assembly is confirmed operational, it will be sandblasted and powder coated for it to match the other engine bay plating. I know powder coating isn't stock, but it's a bit stronger and gives a cleaner finish than I can guarantee on my own. I'm a bit clumsy with tools when I'm frustrated, and I imagine that's what I would need to prevent scratching when the old flathead 8 is fighting back. I will post pictures when complete. This should be done within a few days of the mount coming in.

It’s good to see you are making progress on your car. I had hoped to catch news of your progress. I don’t drop in at the Pontiac site since I don’t own one at the moment. Hopefully I will get another chance at a ‘55. This is sitting in a local junkyard that I told you about when you visited. I don’t know what condition any parts are, or exact year, but I could check the next time I go. 

8A2447A0-801F-4301-A9AD-42D1C9DE1EC1.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2024 at 12:10 PM, Rusty Heaps said:

It’s good to see you are making progress on your car. I had hoped to catch news of your progress. I don’t drop in at the Pontiac site since I don’t own one at the moment. Hopefully I will get another chance at a ‘55. This is sitting in a local junkyard that I told you about when you visited. I don’t know what condition any parts are, or exact year, but I could check the next time I go. 

8A2447A0-801F-4301-A9AD-42D1C9DE1EC1.jpeg

Since the radiator appears to be out, take a look down into where it sits. This car looks a bit rotten, so I doubt the condition would be any good.