Lafayette La. Founders Tour - what kind of cars are you planning to drive?

trimacar

I had given serious thought to going back to my home State for the Founders Tour next year, but Ed Minnie's comments about the years of cars (1932-1999) gave me pause.

All cars 25 years old and all that, but I just don't like touring behind a mini-van or a 1999 Suburban (though I prefer the Suburban!).

OK, so those of you who plan to attend this tour, what car do you plan to drive, what year automobile?

Thanks dc

• 3 months later...
On 11/27/2023 at 7:23 AM, trimacar said:

I had given serious thought to going back to my home State for the Founders Tour next year, but Ed Minnie's comments about the years of cars (1932-1999) gave me pause.

All cars 25 years old and all that, but I just don't like touring behind a mini-van or a 1999 Suburban (though I prefer the Suburban!).

OK, so those of you who plan to attend this tour, what car do you plan to drive, what year automobile?

Thanks dc

1941 Cadillac convertible

• 2 weeks later...

Who’s credit card?  Who’s attitude?  If it’s directed at me, yes, I want to tour with old cars, not minivans.

That won’t kill the AACA, just affect participation. 

40 minutes ago, ted sweet said:

that attitude will help kill the aaca

Ted, I don't understand your comment to my note.

Why would my answer to trimacar's question, that I plan to drive my 1941, be an attitude to kill AACA?

I've been a supportive member since the 1970s, have over 100 judging credits, have driven every AACA Founders Tour, served several terms in my local chapter and Region, and served multiple terms as Director and VP on our National Board.

Please explain.

On 3/12/2024 at 11:01 PM, ted sweet said:

the complain in another post m by trim car

@ted sweet

What?

I don't understand .

Why did you quote me?

Are you upset with my note, and if not, is it that you're unhappy with some other post, but nailing me?

Please take thetime to explain, because I don't think I am alienating anyone - certainly not intentionally.

• Like 1

Marty, I think he's directing his comment at me, and my mention of not wanting to tour in an older car following a 1998 minivan which is registered on the tour.

It's just personal preference.  If I'm going to drive my old car for a week on an antique car tour, I'd like to see some much older cars in front of and behind me.

My preference won't "kill the AACA".  The AACA is doing well, and it's great that including all those newer cars help keeps the club and hobby strong.  

My personal opinion is that the true "antique car" definition should be 50 years, and any antique car club should increase that limit by 1 year every two or three years.  But, that's just the old fuddy duddy coming out in me, since my first antique car was a 1931 Chevrolet in the early 1960s, when it just did make the cut as an "antque".

In addition, I'm sure anyone driving a 1980s or 1990s car will be offended by my opinion, but it's just one person's opinion and means little. 

Own and drive what you enjoy, and life moves on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1