1948 Cadillac Series 62 Club Coupe

Hi Roger, good to here from you. Thanks for the encouragement.  The unknown engine condition gave me two sleepless nights, but over time I am ready to take more risks. Or I believe more in myself. I don't know. Always good to get help here. I am curious about the famous flathead in the 48 and if it is really idling so smooth.

My two sunken Buicks, the 49 Riviera and the 52 Super Riviera are succesfully revived and need only the final touches. Currently putting a new interior into the 49. Looks incredible. 

That's why I feel ready for something new.

The 56 transmission is still my big worry due to the size of the car. Hope I get to it soon. 

41 minutes ago, Hans1965 said:

I am curious about the famous flathead in the 48 and if it is really idling so smooth.

If the valves are good, these engines really will idle exceptionally smoothly (I owned a 1939 75 for 42 years).  As I recall, for standard transmission at least, the idle spec is 375 rpm.  Smooth idle is essential when purchasing unless you're willing to do at least a valve job.  About 20 years ago, I was looking at a 1948 offered for sale and was standing at the rear of the idling car, which was farting thru its exhaust pipe (don't we all!) when the owner said, "That's the famous Cadillac whispering exhaust."  I replied, "It's whispering 'I need a valve job.'"

Like flathead Fords, valve clearance is set by grinding the ends of the valve stems, a terrible pain when the block is in the chassis.  Cadillac specified the use of their Tool J-1055 to set the clearance, which is nothing more than a piece of bar stock the length of a *collapsed* hydraulic valve lifter, with a fancy knurled handle at a 90* angle.  A good machinist friend now long gone taught me to use two inside micrometers as "go / no-go" with the lengths set at (1) (collapsed lifter length) + 0.030 and (2) (collapsed lifter length) + 0.070.  Factory spec for clearance is the pump-up range of 0.030-0.070.  Somebody was reproducing the Tool J-1055 about 25 years ago but I don't know if they are still available.  The two inside mics do the job even better.

Edited by Grimy
fixed typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1