1930 Hudson door lock, missing something?

As many of you know, the 1930, and perhaps other years around there, have one locking door.  Which is the front passenger door.  All the rest lock from the inside by pushing the inside door handle forward.  For whatever reason the door mechanism is designed to not be able to do that on the front passenger side.  Not sure why that is. 

Anyways, I don't have a key, so I've taken the assembly apart so I can have it rekeyed.  While doing this, I discovered that in order to remove the door handle, one has to pull the handle  down slightly. To about the 4:30 ( clock) position and then pull it out along with the square rod.  That took about an hour of head scratching to figure that one out.  

Once I got the handle and square rod out, I still couldn't figure out how by turning the key, it would actually prevent the door handle from moving.  

I'm thinking there should be something in the rectangular slot that goes through the handle assembly.  That should protrude, when the key is turned.  That in turn should fit into the squared off sections in the door panel.  Which in turn would prevent the handle from moving.  But as you can see in the pictures, the rectangular slot is not in the right place. The arrow in one of the pictures shows where it should be.  That point was calculated by sliding the depth gauge end of a dial indicator through the door handle escutcheon when it was in place without the handle.  Also the tumbler mechanism would have to be quite long so as to go as far as that rectangular opening.  I also noticed that that opening is not in the centre of the round portion of the door handle, but it is slightly offset.  There must be a reason for that I would think.  Not only that but the slot does not line up with the notched out portions on the door.  If we think of the door panel notches at 9 and 3 on the clock.  The opening on the door handle when on the door would be at about 11 and 5.  Which seems to make no sense.

From other pictures on line of 1930 Hudson's I think my door handles are stock.  I couldn't find an illustration in the parts catalog showing this.  Has anyone had one of these apart that might have the answer?

20231017_141712_arrow_r.jpg

door lock opening_r2.png

Edited by timecapsule (see edit history)

When removing handle, I use my thumb to press the lock latch inward and the handle square shaft with the of set square near the end, comes out.

The locking mechanism is part of the lock cylinder, with in the handle shaft.

My 1930 Essex is the same as your Hudson.

26 minutes ago, Hans1 said:

When removing handle, I use my thumb to press the lock latch inward and the handle square shaft with the of set square near the end, comes out.

The locking mechanism is part of the lock cylinder, with in the handle shaft.

My 1930 Essex is the same as your Hudson.

That locking mechanism is what I'm missing.  I got the lock cylinder out today but it came out in two pieces.  But there was no clues as to what creates the handle to lock.  Perhaps the lock cylinder wasn't stock and someone just put it in there to fill the hole and make it look like it was functional.   It seems to me that the locking mechanism has something to do with that offset rectangular slot going through the handle.  However that slot is nowhere near anything.  ???  It's inside the escutcheon which isn't even inside the door. 

20231017_143112.jpg

6 hours ago, paulrhd29nz said:

Pete. Pictured below is the lock from one of our 28’s. 29 is the same , likely 30 is as well. Your missing the stepped pine I show. IMG_4598.jpeg.84876b89f5b5b9b28e321dd66e653ed5.jpegIMG_4597.jpeg.057fce27326de1dbea7f9187b4f0530d.jpeg

Thanks Paul.  I figured it was shaped something like that.  I'll improvise and create my own contraption.  I'll go see Ian at Acme Safe on Fort St. in Victoria.  He's not only a good locksmith, but he's also a vintage car guy, as well as the president of the Island Chrysler chapter.  His web page shows a couple similar year, door locks that he has rebuilt.  Between the two of us we should be able to come up with something.  Thanks again.

Edited by timecapsule (see edit history)