Fredericksburg, VA Area Model A Ford Help Sought

hddennis

Once again I have to say I'm stunned that 141 people have viewed my post about one of the most popular antiques autos ever collected and not one single response. Amazing!  Maybe I should try one of the street rod sites? Maybe they will help a fellow collector out. I thought my Son-in-Law, as a new owner being introduced to a new hobby would have been met with a little more helpfulness like I was so many years ago. I guess it is a different time, different world. 

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Have you ever gotten the perch changed? I never had the need to change a perch, but I would imagine that if the lower end was carefully heated up and then left to cool, it may break loose enough to be tapped out with a hammer. I believe it has a tapered shaft.

jpage, Happy New Year and Thanks for being the only one on here concerned about a fellow old car collector's problem. Went to a hot rod site online and in minutes had multiple people willing to help. 

Howard Dennis

I don't think it's a matter of indifference, I think that there's just not a big following of Model A's on this particular forum, thus not many have the experience in all of the types of repair. As suggested, the Model A specific groups are really good for practical and specialty help. Also, there are many books and publications out there that can explain or demonstrate many maintenance and repair issues. I would suggest you pick up a copy of the Model A judging books as they are loaded with accurate info and pictures. Even with my '36 Dodge, there's only a handful of guys that are knowledgeable on these cars. Hope you can get your car fixed and up and running, they are great vehicles and a lot of fun! Here's a photo of my "A" truck that I finished in '84 after a 10 year restoration. Not totally correct by standards, but a fun ride. I only have the bright lamps and grille shell as i had them for a Special Coupe that I had before I got the truck and just put them on to get finished and never did change them!

Truck front.jpg

truck left.jpg

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Farmallregular said:

You need to go to one of the sites that specializes in Model A's, Vintage Ford Forum or Ford Barn, links at the top of this section.

Keith

Funny you should mention that. after total failure here I looked up the 2 closest Model A clubs and one totally ignored multiple emails and the other refused to answer multiple phone calls even though both were listed as contact people??

Howard Dennis

1 minute ago, hddennis said:

Funny you should mention that. after total failure here I looked up the 2 closest Model A clubs and one totally ignored multiple emails and the oher refused to answer multiple phone calls even though both were listed as contact people??

Howard Dennis

That's interesting...the club I belong to here in Colorado goes out of the way to help newcomers.

I've never changed a spring perch, so can't directly help you there.  I'd strongly recommend signing up and asking your questions on the Vintage Ford Forum...very helpful group of people.

It'd also be worthwhile to buy a copy of Les Andrews' "Model A Ford Mechanics handbook".  It's available from any of the Model A suppliers and on Amazon.

Because there are other forums dedicated to Model A's, there's very little activity here.  I come to the AACA forums mostly because I also have a 1924 Dodge, and there is a relatively active group of old Dodge people here.  I only occasionally look at the Model A posts.

Keith

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, jpage said:

I don't think it's a matter of indifference, I think that there's just not a big following of Model A's on this particular forum, thus not many have the experience in all of the types of repair. As suggested, the Model A specific groups are really good for practical and specialty help. Also, there are many books and publications out there that can explain or demonstrate many maintenance and repair issues. I would suggest you pick up a copy of the Model A judging books as they are loaded with accurate info and pictures. Even with my '36 Dodge, there's only a handful of guys that are knowledgeable on these cars. Hope you can get your car fixed and up and running, they are great vehicles and a lot of fun! Here's a photo of my "A" truck that I finished in '84 after a 10 year restoration. Not totally correct by standards, but a fun ride. I only have the bright lamps and grille shell as i had them for a Special Coupe that I had before I got the truck and just put them on to get finished and never did change them!

Truck front.jpg

truck left.jpg

Nice roadster pickup. Ours is a closed cab done 40 years ago as a driver.  I had a 36 D2 4 door as a daily driver for 3 years in the mid 80's. Loved that car, drove it thru 3 NY winters and never missed a beat. Had a basket case D2 convertible sedan but sold it in the mid 80's.

Howard Dennis

IMG_0955 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

@hddennisThere is a member on the Vintage Ford Forum who regularly posts from Fredericksburg, VA. He goes by NDNchf. He rebuilds Model A cutouts and generators and has been quite active on the VFF and helpful to others in the area. Owns a 1930 pickup.

Edited by AzBob (see edit history)

10 hours ago, AzBob said:

@hddennisThere is a member on the Vintage Ford Forum who regularly posts from Fredericksburg, VA. He goes by NDNchf. He rebuilds Model A cutouts and generators and has been quite active on the VFF and helpful to others in the area. Owns a 1930 pickup.

Thanks AzBob, I'll pass that on to my son-in-law.

Howard Dennis