Brass Buicks Yahoo group

Larry Schramm

For those of you that have or are interested in Brass Buicks, there is a discussion group that concentrates on those cars from the early teens and before.  If you have a brass Buick, go here.  https://brassbuicks.groups.io/g/BB to join the group if interested.  There are currently more than 500 members.

Major guideline is that you MUST use your full name, city & state for admission.  No monikers.  Any questions, let me know.  Guidelines below.

The Brass Buicks Group is a web-based, email discussion group located within the Groups.io domain.  The group's purpose is listed on the BrassBuicks Home Page that can be easily found at www.BrassBuicks.org or 

BrassBuicks@groups.io   and repeated here:

"This is the meeting place for anyone interested in the history, documentation, restoration and preservation of the Brass Era (pre-1916) 2, 4 and 6 cylinder Buick automobiles, trucks and engines. Join with us in an international exchange of fact and fancy about these early examples of automotive engineering that provided much of the basic foundation for General Motors."

As the Brass Buicks Group continues to grow we need to continue to work together so that everyone can enjoy the camaraderie. It's nothing more than 'good list manners' that I'll try to quickly summarize:
SIGNATURES:  List etiquette calls for your full name and city/state at the end of each message. We call this the "Harold Sharon (from Pluto) Rule" in honor of a great supporter of BB who has left us to carry on.  We are too large of a group to remember all the nick-names, etc. that are sometimes used.  Every member should set up an automatic signature file which is offered within the “Subscription” option in the left column on the web page.  Each posting that a subscriber makes shall contain their first and last names and city/state.  Missing the signature details within a posting shall bring down the subtle wrath of the list moderator(s) & deletion from the group.
OFF TOPIC:  This list's topic is detailed in the paragraphs above.  Off-topic posters are subject to moderation of posts or removal from the list.  Absolutely NO POLITICAL TOPICS or PERSONAL ATTACKS ALLOWED.
REPLY SUBJECT LINE: Keep the subject line relevant to the current subject.  Often discussions (threads) change topic. Please add to or update the subject line to reflect the current topic.
REMOVED DUE TO SPAM: Some email providers notify us when our group messages land in someone's spam folder. We never want that to happen. It can lead to further emails landing in spam, it can cause us to be blocked by email providers, and it is a bad user experience when someone doesn't think they receive all the messages from their groups. Adding to this, unfortunately some people use the spam button instead of trying to unsubscribe from a group. In any event, we automatically unsubscribe someone when notified about this. As part of that process, we send them an email with a link that lets them automatically and quickly re-subscribe if it was a mistake. The email lets them know to check their spam folders and mark any messages from us in there as not spam, which trains the spam filters to make fewer mistakes about our email.
ATTACHMENTS: Photographs and other files can now be sent as attachments to the group.  Be sure to include full description in the posting.  Photos will be automatically resized for presentation and storage.

HOME PAGE FEATURES
There are a number of additional features within the BrassBuicks home page at  https://groups.io/g/BrassBuicks including:
Account Information.  You can update your Groups.IO account information with a simple click of your mouse from the Home Page.

Delivery Options.  Going on vacation? Want to switch from Individual messages to "Special Notices Only" web-page viewing only? Or do you want to switch from Daily Summary to Individual Messages?  Do it here, at the home page.
Message Archives.  ALL of the BB messages are kept in a current archive and this entire list is easily searched using the software located within the web page.  Before asking that question, go to the archives and search!
Files.  This is the area for interesting files such as sound (.wav) files, .pdf data files and even text files.  We have a limited amount of space so be sure to follow the guidelines.  All files are kept in alphabetical order, depending upon the file's name, upper case coming first, followed by lower case.  Keep your files small.
Databases. This web feature is the place to create individual databases designed for continual updating. Take a look and contribute to the databases or suggest additional databases that we can create.
Help for Groups.io can be found at the top right corner of the home page.

If you have any questions or would like personal assistance, please feel free to contact me at  BrassBuicks+owner@groups.io    This is a SUPER group. 

--

Larry Schramm

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I was a member a couple of times when I was looking for a pre teens two cylinder car. Everyone (including the two of you) were very helpful answering questions and giving advise. I even bought an ignitor from a member before the car deal fell through. Then the deal kind of came back to life and I applied for membership again but was rejected for not being that in to brass Buicks. So I decided maybe I should be looking at Maxwells and REOs.

I'm not ripping the group. It is great. I guess I should have not dropped membership. What's the old saying? "I don't want to belong to any club that would have me for a member"

• Like 1

Brass Buick ownership is not a requirement for the group.  

I always tell people interested in a certain marquee whatever it may be, join the club and local chapter, and the online group before you buy anything.

Local chapter members often know where the good cars are AND where the not so good cars are too.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2023 at 2:18 PM, 190bear said:

I was a member a couple of times when I was looking for a pre teens two cylinder car. Everyone (including the two of you) were very helpful answering questions and giving advise. I even bought an ignitor from a member before the car deal fell through. Then the deal kind of came back to life and I applied for membership again but was rejected for not being that in to brass Buicks. So I decided maybe I should be looking at Maxwells and REOs.

I'm not ripping the group. It is great. I guess I should have not dropped membership. What's the old saying? "I don't want to belong to any club that would have me for a member"

That does not sound right. 

If you applied and did not use your REAL NAME , CITY, STATE, COUNTRY, then you would not be accepted.  That is the basic requirement to be in the group.  See below which is also above.  I can tell if the information makes sense when submitted.   The only persons that are not admitted to the group are individuals that do not adhere to the guidelines.  I also delete individuals that try to use a nick name per the Harold Sharon rule.  Just simple courtesy to the rest of the group.

We are a group of about 500 individuals from all over the world that is a great group to turn to for help, etc..

I know.  I am the list owner/ administrator.

Larry Schramm

SIGNATURES:  List etiquette calls for your full name and city/state at the end of each message. We call this the "Harold Sharon (from Pluto) Rule" in honor of a great supporter of BB who has left us to carry on.  We are too large of a group to remember all the nick-names, etc. that are sometimes used.  Every member should set up an automatic signature file which is offered within the “Subscription” option in the left column on the web page.  Each posting that a subscriber makes shall contain their first and last names and city/state.  Missing the signature details within a posting shall bring down the subtle wrath of the list moderator(s) & deletion from the group.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks for the input. I followed the rules when I applied, I had already been a member and liked those rules. I don't save emails and it didn't really bother me when I got blackballed. I had already got so much good info and knew I could reapply if I got the car. I don't suppose you keep records. I would be interested if I did fill something out wrong or came across as a jerk.

10 hours ago, 190bear said:

Thanks for the input. I followed the rules when I applied, I had already been a member and liked those rules. I don't save emails and it didn't really bother me when I got blackballed. I had already got so much good info and knew I could reapply if I got the car. I don't suppose you keep records. I would be interested if I did fill something out wrong or came across as a jerk.

Reapply if you like.