Metz 22 CAM shaft gear

crimsoncranium

I'm currently working on my Metz 22's engine, and I've encountered a  MAJOR obstacle! THE fiber laminate portion of the gear is completely gone, and the steel portion of the teeth has significant wear.  Does ANYONE out there have a suitable replacement? I'm from the Detroit area but, I'll be in Waltham, for the car show, the weekend of October 22. HELLLLLLLP! PLEASSSSSSE!

I have two engines, one with a solid cast iron gear and one fiber lamination.  Like your's the laminated one is no longer usable.  You should be able to get one fabricated and for a reasonable cost.  I see you're a member of the MTFCA, I think someone on there has a Metz engine they haven't done anything with and would be willing to sell.... of course it might have the same problem. 

• Thanks 1

My cousin had a set made for his last year . We offered other to get in at under 400 for set . As waterjet was set at machine shop he used . They can easily do again; keeping program .See March 2022 thread

Things we learned, mounting  holes are side sensitive . And some hand file of high fibre areas maybe needed. The purpose of fibre is to reduce noise . If not issue to you alloy made would probably work . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get this fixed?  I've been using SendCutSend for a lot of stuff these days.   They have a lot of materials available.  You might have them cut 2 out of Delrin or something and use those to replace the fiber gears while getting the center section cut from an alloy.