Will 63 Riviera Differential fit into 1962 Buick full size?

llmorris75

Not sure of the cause of the vibration - have replaced the carrier bearing and checked the ujoints.  Suspect drive shaft angle, drive shaft balance or the differential.  Didn't mean to imply the ratio would cause the vibration but If the differential ends up being the culprit I might want to have the proper 3:23 ratio in it.. Thank you for replying and the help.

Did you check all of the U-joints while the driveshaft was out?  I found the yoke joint with brinelling on my Riviera was the cause of vibration at 50 ~ 60 mph.  Definitely check the drive shaft angles; particularly the rear shaft.  How is the suspension ride height?  Are the rear springs saggy?  Also check the condition of the transmission mount.

I have a 62 and I've toyed with the notion of different ratios and whatnot. I've found that there isn't a huge knowledge base for these rear ends. If you were asking about a Ford 9" or a Chevy 12 bolt, you'd get a lot of responses. But you're asking about Buick rearend for a car that doesn't really have a huge following. 

There is a discussion about these differentials over at V8 Buick

9 3/8" rear differences | V8buick.com

I think if you want to know what ratio you have, you can count the turns of the driveshaft and axle or take out the assembly and count the teeth. The manual says that the ratio is stamped on the bottom of the housing. But if you have questions about whether it was changed, that number may not matter. The manual shows 7 available ratios (2.78, 3.07, 3.23, 3.36, 3.58,3.91, 4.45) for 1962 as well as Posi. 

I wouldn't assume that you have a 3.23. I suppose you're asking if a 63 differential will fit because you have one? Check a Hollander manual. That may tell you something. The only real way to know is to install it. 

• Like 1

Someone with access to a late 1960's Hollander manual would be helpful here.  If the rear end in question is a removable third member type, I'd suspect the center section from a full-size Buick would interchange, but something like different axle splines could throw you a curveball...