1920 Dort - U-Joint Repair/Rebuild

Nate Dort

Over in my running rebuild thread for this car, I lamented about the destroyed Mechanics u-joint I found. Luckily, I have a pretty good half of another u-joint I pulled from a parts car, so I really only need to repair the driveshaft half.

The two square bearings, for lack of a better term, are in good shape. I just need two more. Shouldn't be too difficult to have some machined. They're steel, as best I can tell.

The smaller yoke (transmission side) I pulled from the parts car has some minor wear on the plated trunnions, which fit inside the square bearings. A couple spots where the plating is missing. It kinda looks like the entire yoke may have been plated originally, 

The big issue is the worn trunnions on the driveshaft yoke. They're about 30% - 50% worn away.

Suggestions? 

Build up the worn trunnions by welding new material, machine them round, then plate with bronze?

Have an entirely new yoke machined from scratch?

ADCreHcYJChpMJq0FJO49XKDAhi_gJYh8x3l8SBQ

ADCreHeuUQJWmJcSd-8i5gOVp7hZs7mogtNLBX26

On 10/4/2023 at 12:28 PM, Nate Dort said:

Yeah, I'm looking around trying to piece together an entire joint with the proper sized square inputs. May take a few phone calls, but I bet I can come up with something.

A lot of farm machinery pto are square shaft, also pto units on truck hoists.  try those shops.