1917 Chevy 4 door convertible - $11,500

Likely not a knowledgeable seller...probably close to 50% high, but certainly a fun car. 

https://medford.craigslist.org/cto/d/murphy-1917-vintage-chevy-door/7665684137.html

1917 Vintage Chevy 4 door convertible.
Ok paint Upholstery needs freshened up  Convertible framework is there but not the fabric
Starts and runs... Come take a look!  541-660-7080

00z0z_afu7JdBYqcu_1320MM_600x450.jpg00606_iWTmxYBlZ44_1320MM_600x450.jpg00K0K_kVQoYhXZCkt_1320MM_600x450.jpg01414_6fzFhr9HQN_1320MM_600x450.jpg00h0h_1YUnqFLF3Xe_1320MM_600x450.jpg00H0H_9Wj5OI420jB_1320MM_600x450.jpg00h0h_7KEL7zXnuND_1320MM_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

The steering wheel is the least of the issues. I have reworked similar wheel rims and if the wood is halfway decent they are not difficult to do. That "inner/outer" split wasn't really common in the era. However it wasn't all that rarely done either. It is common for them to separate this way, and warp. Steaming is best if you have or can set up to do it. However, simply soaking the wood in boiling (usually doesn't need to stay boiling, just very hot) water for about an hour will usually soften thin enough pieces like this to reform them. Have a form ready, a scrap of steel pipe large enough, a few layers of plywood cut nicely round. Something right about or barely larger than the in-between of the inner and outer pieces, or slightly smaller if it is wide enough to spring sideways enough to overlap without climbing over the ends. 

Depending upon warpage, it may require some furniture clamps. If the warpage doesn't include sharp bends? A roll of electrical tape can be wound around and around and around. Stretch it on and it acts like a giant rubber band of considerable strength. Clamp high areas that need to be forced in, and allow to dry for several days.

After both pieces have been reformed back to nice and round, they should pretty much just snap together. After a test fit, it may be necessary to rotate the pieces a bit for best fit. However, if all went well, the fit should be easy between the inner and outer bands. The band joints should be put 120 to 180 degrees apart. After confirming the fit is okay, use a high quality wood glue or epoxy (slow set to allow fitting time if needed).

Again, I like electrical tape to hold the two bands tightly together while the glue dries. Part of the reason for that is that we used to use so much electrical tape at work, that we bought the stuff by the case. So I always had plenty of it. Over the years I have found it to be a handy quick temporary method of holding things together.

I have restored a couple steering wheels doing this. So don't let the steering wheel stop you!

Otherwise, the car looks pretty decent. Price I think is a bit high considering some work it appears to need.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1