1957 Fuel tank leak

NC-car-guy

All,

I have an issue with my fuel tank leaking around the outlet/pickup.  The 57 has the fuel pickup on the bottom.  There is a filter with the hose fitting that threads into the tank.  My car continues to leak at this point.  Is there supposed to be an o-ring or other type of gasket?  There appears to currently be none so I tried an o-ring out of the set I have and it doesnt seem to seal.   Thoughts?

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)

Check the compatibilty of the O ring, Buna Nitrile should hold up to fuels of today. The vendor should have a compatibility chart that  you should check.

I have made the mistake thinking an O will work without checking compatibility the seal works for a bit. 

Steve 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I looked up the part number #1175175, google showed nothing, but I knew it would be a long shot

No size information for the o'ring/seal listed in Buick master parts book

Try contacting @Stephenca118 on this forum, last year he did a LOT of repairs on a '57 Century including gas tank, BUT has not been here for awhile and is also on Classic Oldsmobile forum, I will visit on that forum and see if is recently active.

here is the link:

Bob

Edited by NailheadBob
update (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Howdy, I saw your note, yes I have not been on here at all, finished the 57 Buick and shipped it back to Monterey about six months ago, never heard back from the owner, oh well.  Yes been on the Olds site as I am working on my 62 F85.

As far as that outlet on the 57 Century I just used an O ring from my Harbor Freight assortment,  and it never leaked as long as I had the car here.  I did not tighten it very much, just about 6  to 10 foot pounds.  Hope this helps. 

IMG_15920.JPG

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Smartin said:

Here come the internet warriors, but have you tried thread sealant in addition to the o-ring?  Or using faucet grease on the o-ring?

The first time I used some fuel tolerant (expensive) gasket maker...  no joy.  May try other things over the winter..

12 hours ago, Stephenca118 said:

Howdy, I saw your note, yes I have not been on here at all, finished the 57 Buick and shipped it back to Monterey about six months ago, never heard back from the owner, oh well.  Yes been on the Olds site as I am working on my 62 F85.

As far as that outlet on the 57 Century I just used an O ring from my Harbor Freight assortment,  and it never leaked as long as I had the car here.  I did not tighten it very much, just about 6  to 10 foot pounds.  Hope this helps. 

IMG_15920.JPG

I'll have to get another assortment and see what I can find in it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stephenca118 said:

IMG_15920.JPG

Steve, thanks for your quick reply, as always you have great photos with your projects

I am sure that may help NC-car-guy, as well as Smartin with his help

Any corrosion or rust accumulated on area that o'ring sits on the pick-up/strainer?

Bob

• Thanks 1

If I remember correctly, I slipped the screen off, washed it in hot soapy water, removed the old o ring and gently wire wheeled the  area so it was clean and shiney and installed a new o ring from my assortment, I think I coated it with vaseline to help it seal.   The car was here for a few months after I had installed the gas tank and it never leaked while here, but I never put more than 5 gallons in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1