Craftsman Tools

Just thought I'd post this as everyone seems to agree that Craftsman tools are the best, and also one of the pricier brands. Sears is having their Fathers Day sale until June 16th. Just some stuff I either bought or saw when I was in there today. They have a nice little 53 piece set for $29.99 which comes in a zipper case, nice to keep in the car. All of their major size tool-cases or box-o-tools are on sale from $10-$50 off. Picked up the 144pc set myself, quite nice for the garage. Just thought this info would be helpful to others like me with 'cheaper' tools to get started with the 'good' stuff. They also have a 3ton floor jack with 2 stands for $99 as I just remembered.<P>Cheers!<P>-S

Cyberbuick: If your not already a member of the "Craftsman Club" you should apply at your local Sears and get a card. It is good for additional savings, and you get flyers in the mail telling you about "Craftsman Days" when members get extra discounts. About 95% of my tools are Craftsman. I have found them to be very good tools. My only trouble has been with the ratchets. I have had a few of them fail but they were promptly replaced by Sears with rebuilt units.

Craftsman tools are very good, but they have their weak points, too. I had a set of their torque wrenches, one of which went <I> <B> GROSSLY </I> </B> out of calibration with no notice and with almost no use. This thing was snapping off bolts when set at 20 ft-lbs., and I'd probably only used it on 15 or 20 bolts/nuts previously.<P>When I took it back to Sears, I discovered that thier lifetime guarentee doesn't apply to torque wrenches. So I gave the guy at the counter the wrench and walked away. I now have a great set of S-K's. <P>Some time later the guy at the counter called me aside when I was back at Sears. He told me that he tried to open up that torque wrench to see if it could be adjusted and re-calibrated (he wanted to keep it). When he opened it, he said the entire ratchet mechanism came apart in pieces, as if the metal had no temper and had been overheated.<P>There went about $60. mad.gif" border="0

72 Electra: Thanks! I didn't know they had such a thing. If it's free, where do I sign. smile.gif" border="0 Whats the whole gig on replacement of failed units if I may ask.<P>Dave: Everything has weak points, mines with cars. haha. I feel for ya with the torque wrench, it truely sucks loosing $60 due to poor QC. That was the socket type torque wrench right? I after purchasing mine, found that they're quite inaccurate via tests ppl here have done. Which leads me to ask, why even sell them? I can believe the counter guy would do that, they're always out for free stuff. (isn't everyone? ha!) What are S-K's?? Where are they available?<P>Speaking of torque wrenches, do they make them that work @ a 180* angle? Like for torqueing carb mounting bolts and such.<P>-Scott

On the topic of guarantees. I have a Home Depot bar style torque wrench (Husky I think). I broke the black tab on the end of the bar a bit ago and went into my Home Depot to see if they maybe had extras of these. They didn't, but I asked if that would be covered under the lifetime guarantee ( I figured it couldn't hurt to ask). I was very surprised when the guy told me that the lifetime didn't apply to torque wrenches, even a Craftsmen he mentioned. I was a bit puzzled as well and went over the rack to confirm my suspicions. As I thought, right there on the cardboard wrap on the torque wrenches was written "lifetime guarantee", with no mention of any exceptions. Right now the wrench is fine, but it ever did break, I would be sure to argue over this point.

Guest oldtimer

i would get the tool truck stuff (snap on, mac or matco) for torque wrenches, hand ratchets or any tools you will put alot of force on and use everyday. the torque wrenches are stronger and more accurate (they also hold their calibration longer). the ratchets are stronger and you can get them from regular to long length (for more torque). you can also get the ratchets in varying teeth numbers (for finer turning). i use my tools everyday ALL day long (at work and at home) and the tool truck sockets are made more precise, they don't strip the bolts as easily. the craftsman pro series are pretty good for the money, i like them because you can get long wrenches (again for more torque). what i do is have a happy medium, the stuff i can't put to much pressure on i get from sears (the stubby wrenches are GREAT and a lot cheaper then the tool trucks). but if you just use them on your own car at home once in a while, craftsman will be great. it would still pay the extra money for the ratchet (15" snap on was about $60)

I had the best luck with Snap-on. They last for ever and are guaranteed. Mac's are pretty good too. The trouble I had with Craftsman sockets and wrenches (12 points)is that they round off too quickly.

Nice to see I'm not the only tool junky here!<BR>I agree that the Snap-on stuff is the best, but even though I use my tools a ton, I can't spend that kind of money on ratchets. Especially now that Craftsman has the Pro series with the smooth round handles. (Don't hurt the hands when used). I do wish they had a fine tooth ratchet, though.<BR>Here's a cool, though extravagant tip: Buy two of every size wrench, socket and ratchet. This does two things. Mainly, if you're wrenching with a buddy, you each have your own tools and it goes quicker. You'll really appreciate that when putting on a hood. The other thing is that if you do break something late on Saturday night, you've got a back up.<BR>I've had 12-point sockets of every make round off nuts. Use 6-points whenever possible. <BR>The lack of warranty on the Torque Wrenches is a bummer. With the click-style torque wrenches, you'll wreck them if you don't set them to zero pounds before storing them. Keeping it "loaded" wrecks them.<BR>One tool I can't live without is Gear Wrenches. The box end is a ratchet. If you shop for them, you can get them for about $45 for a full set. They're warrantied for life, and carried by Sears, Ace Hardware, and I think Home Depot. I can't live without them. They're also a fine tooth.<BR>-Brad

On the subject of torque wrenches do you all preferr the click type or the bend the pointer type. Someone had posted he built a test device for these wrenches and found the pointer style to be overall more accurate. I sold my dads at a yard sale when I went modern with the ratchet type. I'm still finding out how smart he was.

I think CRAFTSMAN tools are the best junk tools you can buy (better than Tiawanese but not as good as SK). the power tools are worthless. the hand tools are ok if you get them on sale and have a Sears close enough to return when they break. I have started converting my set over to SK. The only hand tools I have ever broke were Craftsman. Funny but I have heard several people claim that anything with Craftsman on it was guarrenteed for life. and we know thats not true at all.

I have used Craftsman for years on my old cars however I do not use them all that hard such as a mechanic would use everyday. I am on my 3rd ratchet in about 7 years. The wrenches have held up. The jacks and floor jack mentioned above are made in China. I would not trust them!

Start a manly topic, get manly responses. smile.gif" border="0<P>Lemme try to clear up a lil confussion on torque wrenches. When I went into Sears months ago to replace my socket type torque wrench, I purchased the Craftsman 1/2" Torque Bar. On it's packaging, which I'm looking at, it says towards the upper right, "Guaranteed Forever", and below is the Full Unlimited Waranty box listing that if it "ever fails to give satisfaction, return to the nearest Sears store...". The item number is 944642. I remember when I purchased it, talking to the sales guy about the waranties on these items, he also restated that the bars are guaranteed, the socket type is not.<P>I'm glad to hear that most of ya agree that craftsman are good tools, but no doubt not the best. I liked what oldtimer had to say about them. They're good for grease monkeys who work on their own cars at home. Being a monkey of sorts, can't afford $60 for a socket wrench. Wouldn't have anything left over to buy sockets.<P>To Ron, what brand of jack & stands would you buy then? All I ever see is either China, Tiawan or Japan on stuff these days. (Japan tho makes good stuff imho.)<P>my 2 shillings for now<P>-Scott

No question that Craftsman are not the absolute best tolls made. Having said that they are certanly not "junk tools" I classify junk tools as the cheap imports where you gat a whole huge set for 20-30 bucks. I will state that Craftsman are "the best tools for the money". If I where a professional mechanic and made my living with my tools I would want, and could justify the exhorbant prices for Snap on and similar "truck tools". I feel that they are grossly overpriced even for the excellent quality. They can get that kind of price because I think there is a status aspect to owning them. If their both gaurenteed for life then whats the since in paying several times the price. As for the inconvenience when you break one (I have only broken the ratchet mechanisms) I keep a set of truly "junk tools" as a backup. If you have a Sears fairly convenient to you this will work fine. I have never had a problem with an exchange. I did however get a little upset once when I took a brand new Craftsman ratchet back and got a rebuilt unit that worked fine but wasn't as nice and shiny as the one I turned in. Usually you will get a brand new one though. I do know people who have Snap on and they have failed and were replaced with a rebuilt unit also.<BR>Cyberbuick: Sign up at any Sears store for the "Craftsman Club". As for the bar vs ratchet torque wrenches, I have a bar type and it works great and is warranted for life (Craftsman) and it is cheaper than the ratchet type.

Someone asked what S K stands for "Sherman Klove".I dont know if I spelled it right,but I bought a set of 6 box-end wrenches from them in 1934,and they are still in warranty.I have used all the brands talked about,Japanese tools have a distinct edge,,, NOBODY will steal them!

The P.O.S. torque wrench I posted about was a click type ratchet wrench, and I <I> did </I> set it to zero every time I used it. <P>I've bought most of my S-K's at swap meets, but you can find them at many tool stores and a lot of auto parts houses. For my money they seem to be a cut above Craftsman, for nearly the same money. MAC and Snap-On are great, I have a few, but unless your last name's Leno they're not for the hobbiest. ( $! shocked.gif" border="0 )<P>{True story--In 1987 I attended the Pocono 500 NASCAR race. One of the cars was sponsored by MAC tools. The team's pit crew used Snap-On tool chests!}<P>About 3-4 years ago Consumer Reports tested floor jacks and jackstands. They tested everything from Snap-On to Chinese to Brookstone types. They're findings were very simple, all of the items tested performed without flaw and each held at least twice it's rated capacity before failing. They reccommended buying the cheapest ones you can find! (Not a very common reccommendation from them!)

Guest oldtimer

for floor jacks i have used everything from cheap to air powered. what i have at home is a semi cheap (craftsman 3 1/2 ton) heavy duty with heavy duty stands. if you get just above the load weight you need and a good set of stands your o.k. all you need to do is lift the car and put it on stands (never ever work under the car with just a jack) so you don't need the king of all jacks, just something that doesn't leak and bleed down. also on the tool truck comments, your also paying for the individual dealer to drive the tool store to your work and take payments from someone who isn't his/her friend (and without intrest on truck accounts). but i have to say that the tool business is gotten alot better in the last few years, specialty tools and pro series tools once had to be bought on the truck (by the big 3 tool companies) only. now sears, s-k and others are making those tools at a fraction of the costs and sometimes at the same quality. well thats my buck fifty.....

Guest John Chapman

Well OK... I have a Craftsman click-type torque wrench... almost new. Where do I take it to have it checked/calibrated?

Craftsman ratchets are junk, they are too big for tight areas, they take too much pressure to click and there are too few of clicks! They are impossible to work with in tight areas. There wreches are pretty clunky too. I use craftsman and junk tools mostly. But my favorite wratchet is my S&K they are by far the best. Mine 3/8" has killed a few extensions and sockets, while withstanding a 6 foot cheater bar and it has 60 clicks/rev.(vs. crapsmans 30-40) Craftsman are fine, but if you want a ratchet by an S&K, you won't regret it.<P>-T