Coil info - 1930 353 Cadillac

Joe in Canada

My 1930 353 Cadillac had the original coil in it until the other day when it quit and had the car towed home. My question is what coil does it take with or without a resister. I read 6 volt coils should not have a resister and then I was told if you do not have a resister your points will burn out more quickly. So should 6 volt cars have a resister or no coil resister in the older cars. 

It depends... No "normal looking" 6 volt coil wants a resistor.

The 6 volt coils that do want a resistor are all odd shaped things that are for very specific systems, like the the Buick "mailbox" coils of the teens or 20s, or early 30s Fords and Lincolns with a flat distributor at the front of the camshaft and odd shaped coils, or the Dodge Brothers coils with the high tension lead on the side of the cylindrical part, more or less like a Buick "mailbox" coil, but round instead. There are probably others.

No 6 volt coil in the round form factor we have come to recognize as the default (a vertical cylinder with 2 terminals and a tower on top) is made for use with a resistor. At least I have never seen one, and I have posted that observation in this forum many times. No one has ever called me on it, and I do not believe 6 volt coils in that shape for use with a resistor exist.

I don't know what a 1930 353 Cadillac had originally for a coil. If it had a resistor before, use it if you are still using an original type coil. If you are using a typical 6V coil from the parts store, don't use a resistor.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Agree with @Bloo, I would NOT use a resistor style coil - 

Cadillac original spec was Delco 530-B, which is non-resistor.

Check the points for deposits and erosion - if one of the points has a mountain and one has a pit, there is other troubleshooting that can be done regarding the CONDENSER on the distributor.

image.png.60657f941805a7b9f3efe5f14cbb2266.png

image.png.b9d780ec63a2af34a4b656a515981db1.png

Try the UC-14X coil, its been good over 4kmi for me and others, good amps, hot spark, no thermal degradation in consistent extremely hot ambient >100F...

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/blue-streak/ignition---tune-up/ignition-coil/ignition-coil/90c5da72ae86/standard-ignition-blue-streak-ignition-coil/std2/uc14

Getting into the weeds with condensers and points for those who might be curious...

image.jpeg.2dfc434a6e0fed3fb1333de3d127d9fd.jpeg

image.png.d9fc579e1081eec05f56a742e09fa26b.png

• Like 8

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Coil info - 1930 353 Cadillac