A "Brougham" is a ... ?

Crusty Trucker

6 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Name me one Datsun/Nissan model in the 70's-80's-90's that was a pillarless four door in U.S.A.. 

OI really have no concern about the US market, only about whether Nissan actually built four door hardtops.

This JDM U11 Bluebird SSS with the CA18 engine is just one. It was saved because of its rarity.

IMG_8873 resize.jpg

15 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

So the US missed out on some smart-looking hardtop sedans.

No, we brought them in for evaluation, I drove quite a few preproduction cars, but in the end, we knew there was legal problems in the roof structures of any type of hardtop two of four door. Thats why I said U.S.A.  Look at all those colonnade cars GM made from 73-77 as a result in those fears. My favorite was the Leopard.

image.jpeg.d799fe53887487b506f2825532c63326.jpeg

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

On 9/1/2023 at 11:06 AM, motoringicons said:

In Detroit, they are called Bro-ham. We gots a Bro-ham Cadlac.

st,small,845x845-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.u4.jpg

Here in VA/NC middle border area you often hear those called a "broogum".

Once the marketing people corrupted the original meaning of a Brougham carriage, the term devolved into meaning a top-line model with supposedly nicer interior trim and fabrics, and a few extra pieces of brightwork outside.

The one that got me, of ALL carmakers, was Oldsmobile. They tagged their top-line early-90s Ninety Eights as "Ninety Eight Regency Elite Brougham". What a mouthful.

But to their credit, Oldsmobile finally corrected Ninety Eight's styling and mien to where they LOOKED like a Ninety Eight again. Those 85-90 Ninety Eights, Brougham or not, just did not look like an Oldsmobile Ninety Eight in any way, shape, form or fashion.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 9:33 AM, Mark Huston said:

The definition of the brougham automobile body style varies depending on the car manufacturer.   I don’t think the automobile industry agrees on very many definitions.  

Studebaker, during the mid twenty’s to early thirties, used the term brougham on there top of the line close coupled four door sedans with blind quarters.  

Here are a couple of pictures of my 1929 Studebaker President Brougham as an example. 

For 1964, Studebaker offered a vinyl top option on the G.T. Hawk advertised as the 'Astro Roof'. 

Some pre-production literature labeled a 'brougham top'.

Craig

SA-237A-s.jpg