1941 Buick Super decode tag plate

Larry_d_randall

Have a 1941 Buick Super. It belongs to my wife's family. It was her Dads.

Would like to know from the plate what I have.

1941 Mod. 56

Style No 41-45278

Body No 1172

Trim No 900

Paint 566 So far as i have discovered that this is a two tone Dark gray lower and a lighter gray on top.

Want to know what the interior would have looked like. 

The car has a bad faded hot rod paint job and the interior was changed so non of the original is left. i have rear wheel covers but not sure if they were original to the car.

it was changed to 12 volt and would like to get it back to original also.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello Larry,

I have a little information for you. Your car is the torpedo style that was first introduced by Fisher Body in 1940. The Mod. is pretty straight forward as the 5 indicates that this is the Super series ( a 4 would have indicated a Special and a 6 would have indicated a Century). The 6 is translated as a two door coupe and as there is no other letter after the six this would indicate that you have a 3-passenger business coupe (no back seat). There were 2,449 of this model built in 1941 compared to the 56S which has a full back seat and 19,603 were built for this year. The ID number is attached to the frame under the right frame and this number is what the DMV used as a vin which were not started until 1956. The paint number 566 is called Chenanga Grey Metallic. Usually if the car was originally two tone there would be two numbers. Sorry, but I could not source the trim which would have been the interior material.  Good luck with your new car.

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This site has old car brochures but for some reason they are missing the 1941. 

This link will get you to a 1940 brochure and it will give you an idea of what 

interiors would have looked like... 

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Buick/1940_Buick/1940 Buick Foldout/image4.html

• Like 1