1950 Pontiac Jetback Model# 2507D

farrowd

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on my 50 Jetback and I have a couple of questions. First off will this shift kit work (and any thoughts about it are welcome) on my project? https://www.nationalchevyassoc.com/product/1949-1954-chevy-passenger-car-3-speed-floor-shift-kit/

Second, where in the world can I go far interior upholsteries i.e., door panels, headliner bows, seat covers, etc? I'm not finding much on Pontiac specific stuff. I'm curious if the 50 Chevy Fleetline interior is compatible with the Pontiac.

Many thanks in advance.

The headliner may be the only thing compatible with all the "A" bodies of 1950, and that includes Olds 88. The seats (standard & deluxe) material and door panels style / trim / patterns are different. You might be able to get seat material and door panels made from SMS.

SMS Auto Fabrics - The Largest Selection of Classic Auto ...

BTW, Jetback is a Buick term. Pontiac's term for the fastback roof is Streamliner. Also, Buick Jetback is a "B" body car.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2023 at 3:55 PM, farrowd said:

First off will this shift kit work (and any thoughts about it are welcome) on my project? https://www.nationalchevyassoc.com/product/1949-1954-chevy-passenger-car-3-speed-floor-shift-kit/

I'm going to go out on a limb and say "no". The reason is that Chevrolet transmission in the picture has two shift levers and two shift rods on the transmission case like a "normal" 3 speed does, and the shifter appears to have a normal gate, similar to Hurst or whatever.

Pontiac transmissions after mid 1935 were not based on any Chevrolet designs. The Pontiac transmissions were closely related to Buick (and Oldsmobile), and I believe in 1950 that would have been a design called "selector", which used one rod and lever to shift all gears, and a cable or small rod to move the gate. Floor shifters for that setup were a kludge at best, and I doubt any have been made in years. There's some pictures of old ones here:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1951-oldsmobile-selector-trans-shifter.531247/

Welcome to the forum!

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Why do you want to change the gearshift? Chances are, it would be easier to fix the column shift. Check for worn or missing bushings or worn shift rods and ovaled holes in levers. Replace bushings or if necessary, weld or braze up worn areas. Same with the column shift under the hood, you may need to build up worn areas with weld or braze and file to shape. And oil the mechanism. Finally adjust the shift rods where they attach to the transmission.

I have done this and it is astonishing how smooth and easy the shifting is when you restore the mechanism to factory specs.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Pfeil said:

The headliner may be the only thing compatible with all the "A" bodies of 1950, and that includes Olds 88. The seats (standard & deluxe) material and door panels style / trim / patterns are different. You might be able to get seat material and door panels made from SMS.

SMS Auto Fabrics - The Largest Selection of Classic Auto ...

BTW, Jetback is a Buick term. Pontiac's term for the fastback roof is Streamliner. Also, Buick Jetback is a "B" body car.

Thanks for the SMS link. There seems to be a real shortage on interior for this car. I may have to invest in a good sewing machine. Luckily I have all of the parts and trim for her minus the headliner bows.

I stand corrected wrt calling it a Jetback. I wish I'd known that before posting the title...lol.

14 hours ago, Bloo said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say "no". The reason is that Chevrolet transmission in the picture has two shift levers and two shift rods on the transmission case like a "normal" 3 speed does, and the shifter appears to have a normal gate, similar to Hurst or whatever.

Pontiac transmissions after mid 1935 were not based on any Chevrolet designs. The Pontiac transmissions were closely related to Buick (and Oldsmobile), and I believe in 1950 that would have been a design called "selector", which used one rod and lever to shift all gears, and a cable or small rod to move the gate. Floor shifters for that setup were a kludge at best, and I doubt any have been made in years. There's some pictures of old ones here:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1951-oldsmobile-selector-trans-shifter.531247/

Welcome to the forum!

I'd have to agree on the "no". I was able to get it up on the lift yesterday and I don't see how it could work without major mods. The jalopy link was pretty good info for a possible custom in the future maybe... Thanks for your help.

3 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Why do you want to change the gearshift? Chances are, it would be easier to fix the column shift. Check for worn or missing bushings or worn shift rods and ovaled holes in levers. Replace bushings or if necessary, weld or braze up worn areas. Same with the column shift under the hood, you may need to build up worn areas with weld or braze and file to shape. And oil the mechanism. Finally adjust the shift rods where they attach to the transmission.

I have done this and it is astonishing how smooth and easy the shifting is when you restore the mechanism to factory specs.

At first I thought it would just be "cool" to have a floor shift. However the jalopy link by Bloo was pretty good at changing my mind.

I've only driven this car a few times around the neighborhood and she shifts just fine as is. Like you said, I bushing or two may be needed to tweak it a bit but I think she's gonna stay on the column for sure... as it stands now.