Behind the Wheel of a '41

neil morse

The first three minutes of this NASS video show a drive around New York from inside a '41 Buick.  (The added fake soundtrack is kind of a distraction, but it's amazing to see that familiar dashboard!  Looks like the clock was already inoperative.  😄)

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Kenneth Carr said:

Thanks, Neil. The ultimate cool!

Ken, I'm curious what you think, as a radio guy, of the fact that it seems like the Sonomatic needed to be constantly adjusted during the drive.  Do you think that was typical?

40 minutes ago, drhach said:

Great observation about the clock. Are you sure that's a 41? I'm not good enough to spot the differences between 41 and 42 interiors. It's a lot easier from the outside. 

That's a good point that hadn't occurred to me.  I think on certain models in '42 the dash was virtually identical to the '41.  But the hood ornament in the video looks like a '41 to me (although it's a bit hard to tell).

Neil, regarding the frequent adjustments to the radio:  most tube-based radios will drift (slight frequency changes) somewhat during the first 30 minutes of operation. Having said that, with AM operation this is barely noticeable. I think the person who made the movie just asked the driver to perform as many adjustments (shift, steer, change frequency, turn corners) as possible so as to add interest to the movie. Now if he was receiving SSB (single side band) signals, he would have to constantly adjust the signal. SSB wasn’t invented until the 1950’s and never offered in a consumer radio.