Selden Plate numbers list required, produced by the Late Tom Reese of Mound MN, to aid further research

Pete Wood

Selden.jpg.acdb785fb22eb659122c93c010b2af70.jpgI am trying to get hold of a copy of the Selden list, produced by the late Tom Reese of Mound MN, where he collated various Selden numbers for a variety of cars.

I understand Tom gave out this list, freely, to those interested. I have transcribed some 15000 Selden numbers (from Cadillac factory records) and believe that, with Tom's list, I would have a better understanding of ALL Selden numbers allowing me to date any car to within two weeks (of August 1903 to January 1911 inclusive). If anyone has a copy of Tom's list, I would be very grateful.

I believe, at present, I can date ANY Selden plate number (stamped bottom left) to an accuracy of +/- 2 weeks between 1903 and early 1910. From January 1910 to January 1911 (when the last Selden plate was affixed), the accuracy is down to a month (because of a lack of data on my part).

Does anyone have a copy of Tom Reese's Selden list, please....??

It was published in an issue of HCCA Gazette magazine, don’t know if those are available electronic and searchable.

Very interesting, as from some research seemed to indicate numbered plates were handed to manufacturers in random stacks.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...