German Coachbuilt 1933 Ford

Interesting Ford I came across in College Station recently.  I assume the Ford collectors here are knowledgeable about this model but it was new to me.  Body is by Deutsch of Koln.  Were these produced independently of under contract to Ford of Germany.  This car will be for sale eventually but the estate has not decided on a price or sales venue yet.  Photos to follow

In some cases a European customer could buy an American car with a custom built body for around the same money as a standard Detroit stamping because of the import duty.  The bare chassis paid less duty and of course, the body being made locally, there was no duty payable.

This does not seem to be the case here if the Ford was made in Germany. The Ford was much cheaper than European cars of similar size and power. Perhaps the customer thought the custom body gave him all the comfort and prestige of a Mercedes or Delage at a lower price, and with Ford service available everywhere.

• Thanks 1

Ford Koln produced 3535 Ford Model 18 (V-8) before production ended.  Of these 314 were bare chassis which were presumable sent to custom coach builders although actual production is unknown and few survive because of the war effort and Hitler's desire to destroy everything American although he reportedly had a large portrait of Henry Ford in his office.