Recovering leather steering wheels

Barney Eaton

I posted this on the Reatta discussion and it might be of interest to others with late model cars with leather steering wheels.<P>I have negotiated a $10 savings on recovering leather steering wheels at American Stitches<BR>Several people have had wheels done and are happy with the results. They tell me that they do GN wheels all the time.<P>You must tell them "Barney Eaton" sent you to get the discount, if you have any problems let me know. I talked to Tony Rowe there to set this up... it does not need to be a Reatta wheel.<P>American Stitches 888-403-3404 <A HREF="http://www.american-stitches.com" TARGET=_blank>www.american-stitches.com</A>

To extemporate on that- There is a VW parts place in California that makes VW Bus leather wheel covers. Surprisingly, they are of excellent manufacture, all leather, and the tight stitch goes on the inside of the wheel. It comes with the curved needle and heavy-duty thread. My 70 Electra has about the same size wheel and it really came out looking nice. I found them on the InterNet with a search for leather steering wheel covers.<P>Just another alternative that was inexpensive and easy to do (well- yes my wife stitched it up as she was better at it). cool.gif" border="0

Thanks for that information, Barney.<P>As for the rim blow wheels, I suspect they would "restore" like a non-rim blow wheel as far as filling any cracks, etc. The hard part would be to find a new or replacement rim blow switch to put back onto the reconditioned steering wheel--and then installing the switch without destroying the switch or wheel reconditioning so that everything works.<P>The rim blow steering wheels were a neat innovation that did not really catch on. In the long run, it might be better to convert it back to a regular wheel/horn switch situation.<P>NTX5467