Chrysler Model 77 roadster, how to remove seats?

This is an interesting topic.  I have no interior in my 1928 Model 72 Roadster and am still making inquiries about the configuration of the cockpit seats.  The seats themselves are mounted on individual wooden frames which sit in a recess on the floor.  The backrests are also on individual wooden frames with hinges at the top, two on each frame which are bolted to the perimeter wood frame of the body.  Don't exactly know yet if the bottom of the backrest is somehow connected to the seat frame.  In the first photo you can see the recess in the floor where the seat frames sit.  The second is one of the hinge pieces attached to the rear body frame sill.  The third is a backrest off a friends Model 72 showing the complete pair of hinges at the top of one of the backrests.  The forth is the seat from the same car, notice the square piece of wood in the lower right quarter of the picture.  When the seat sits in the floor recess that piece of wood is a stop to prevent the seat from coming forward out of it's recess.  Don't know if any of this helps.  Maybe?  Another photo of the empty cockpit floor.

100_0753 (2020_06_25 13_56_00 UTC).JPG

100_0762 (2020_06_25 13_56_00 UTC).JPG

Int2.jpg

Int18.jpg

100_3757.JPG

Edited by leomara
More information (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Dave,

Is that a knob in the middle of the seat back? I don’t have one on my ‘28 which is like Leo’s.

I just unbolted the hinge at the top and they pulled out.

Bill, when you say you unbolted the hinge at the top and they pulled out, was the seat backrest attached to the seat bottom and they came out together or do you mean after you pulled the seat backrest out you then were then able to pull out the seat bottom separately? 

I've spent some time studying the attachment methods and workings of seats on these Chrysler Roadsters circa 1930 (mine is a '31 CD8). Many I find have a fixed bench seat and a split back. The passenger side back has a "double hinge" as shown in an earlier photo. I assume that serves 2 purposes 1. It holds the seat back from moving forward when braking. 2. It allows for seat back to be raised in an emergency (by lifting it from bottom edge) to access the rumble seat area: for example if R/S lock broke, you could access the latch from inside.

The driver side back has the handle on top which operates a scissor type mechanism (like on a scissor jack) fastened to the framing behind the seat driver side back to adjust 2-3 inches back and forth based on driver preference. Note the back cushions ride on top of the seat base. I don't know how many years/models shared this split seat system.