Looking for Stromberg OS-1

I see another on eBay but they want stupid money for it. If they had a Buy it Now I might offer $75 just to level set the seller.

What happened to the one that came with the car? Is it salvageable? And the one from eBay…what was the issue that made it scrap? I know I have a couple of OE-1s and they share a few parts. Maybe we make a good one from parts 

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)

Sorry for the delay -I have been unable to get to the computer for a few days.

So the one on ebay had an undisclosed "repair" of the high speed adjustment which was a huge blob of brazing that totally ruined the body. It is also different in some aspects (such as location of high speed screw) than the Studebaker model with slightly different parts.

The one that came with the car:

Float chamber top is cracked in half.

Float needle badly overtightened or otherwise pressed/hammered at one point causing deep groves in bevel so it leaks a lot.

Main discharge jet (I think that is what it is called - jet in the accelerator well) has been totally mangled and I cannot get it out because last owner broke the slotted screw top, and must have hammered on it because now it will not move. The jet was likely mangled in an attempt to use a pliers around the jet to turn it off. I am hesitant to risk damaging it further because at least the car starts and runs, although very sluggish response from carb makes it impossible to drive safely. 

In addition to the main discharge jet, some of the other screws on the carb have been broken in their holes.

Economizer needle is very sticky.

May all be fixable but I probably do not have the skill or tools.

is there supposed to be a gasket between float chamber and cover?

From what I can tell, yes, there was a thin paper gasket. That said, I did some poking around my OE-1s and found this…..

IMG_5296.jpeg.dfb71c56e0cb5a595fd599206e033ce6.jpeg

I was going to disassemble and clean it up and verify all the parts are there.

There is no float cover gasket.

Didn't look at ebay for prices; but something to consider is the OS-1 is a sidedraft carburetor by a major brand. The folks doing retro early racing cars are always looking for brass sidedraft carburetors; so prices can sometimes be deceiving for an original application because of the aftermarket applications.

The nice thing about the OS-1 is that it basically is a sidedraft type O, and shares MANY component parts with the much less in demand model O. The key is simply starting with an OS-1 with good castings. Other members that all will have some interchangeable component parts would be: O-1, OA-1, OE-1, and of course, the OS-1.

Of these, the least expensive model will be the OA-1, as it had only one original application. But Stromberg used it as their standard size 1 aftermarket carburetor for years. One of the aftermarket applications was the 1915-23 Chevrolet; so fairly common.

Generally, the float cover vent will be missing (it was kept in the glove box by most owners).

Jon

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

I took the carb all apart without breaking or rounding off any screws since I used some penetrating oil, applied a little heat where needed and used my "gunsmith" screwdriver set. I did have to drill and easy out the float bowl level plug.

SpareOS-1Carb.jpg.8869e80da9858ceb058b8ea8bd8a31c7.jpgIt all went in the ultrasonic tank which took quite a bit longer than usual to get the gunk and corrosion off. After some Scotchbrite here and there and a brass wire brush I got everything cleaned up nicely. Filed, blasted and coated the original steel screws.

SpareOS-1Carb2.jpg.d494afbc9859f97410df4e66ce6ac0ec.jpg

And all back together. Had to make one new hard paper gasket (actually modified one to fit).

SpareOS-1Carb3.jpg.424fbb5e8747ddc158d7e7924d684a6f.jpg

I apply a gasoline proof grease to any areas needing sealed like tapered surfaces and any gasket faces. Need to use acetone to cut the stuff.

E Z TURN 208860-EA Yellow-Brown MIL-G-6032D AM I Type I Spec Fuel Resistant Lubricant - 5 oz Tube

This carb is the OS-1 that originally went on the 1920-1921 Studebaker Light Six. The 1922 and early 1923 OS-1 has several differences so I'm glad to have found the right one for Dave's car.

• Like 1