1987 William Lyon - Harrah purchase list

BlueDevil

In 1987, Harrah's had their final sale and Gen. William Lyon bought 82 cars for $28.8 Million.

Does anyone have a list of what he bought?

One collector offered to buy the ENTIRE collection from Holliday Inn. It was a fair offer, they ended up going back and forth......and in the end went with the auctions. I was told the auction total was four times more than the single purchaser offer. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Where did you see that Lyon bought that many cars?

There were articles about it in the Los Angeles Times and New York Times when this happened back in 1987.

There is a partial list of the cars in both articles, which can still be found online at the respective newspaper archives. 

I have never seen a full list of the cars sold to Lyon though. 

58 minutes ago, edinmass said:

One collector offered to buy the ENTIRE collection from Holliday Inn. It was a fair offer, they ended up going back and forth......and in the end went with the auctions. I was told the auction total was four times more than the single purchaser offer. 

My father was one of four independent appraisers hired by Holiday Inn to appraise the entire collection. Ironically, the four bottom lines were very close to each other. If I remember correctly, the number was something like $170 million. I don't know or don't remember seeing the final dollar amount realized from the auctions.